Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FX2/3 crosswind limitation

Default FX2/3 crosswind limitation

Hi folks, new pilot with zero taildragger time thinking of getting a FX2 or FX3. I was wondering how significant is the 11 knot "limitation" for a relatively new pilot?
    Practically speaking I've never landed in anything above 10 kts crosswind component on a "nosedragger".
    Would greatly appreciate advice.
    Thank you.

Default Re: FX2/3 crosswind limitation

Good question!
    It's all about a) instruction, b) rudder authority, c) weathervaning, and d) instruction
    I'd recommend five to ten hours with an experienced T/W instructor in about any conventional gear platform you can find.
    CJB, CFI

Agree with the above. My insurance had me do 15 hrs dual before I could solo (EX-2).

What I did with cross wind was to keep a log with the angle and speed. Then I would know what I could do and challenge myself from there. Eventually learning how to handle strong cross winds.

I believe it is a great question and you are on the right path. It seems that if the wind is blowing, people don't fly. What happens when you go flying and return to an unexpected cross wind? Better to challenge yourself (smartly) and develop skills early.

Certainly not an expert, but I think the CC planes handle very well in a cross wind.
    Last edited by aeroaddict; 01-10-2022 at 07:00 AM.
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL

Thank you all for your replies. I am concerned that the crosswind limits are significantly lower than say a Citabria or even the basic Cessna 172 trainer. A 20 knot wind at 30 degrees or a 15 knot wind at 40 degrees puts the CC outside the limits which pretty much rules out most days at my home airport.

I wonder if the low number is due to the low landing speed and the 0.2Vso crosswind controllability requirement of FAA.
    https://www.faa.gov/news/safety_brie...opic_16-03.pdf

So if the crosswind component is higher than the 11 kts, and you come in faster is the CC controllable?

Quote Originally Posted by pv9 View Post
    Thank you all for your replies. I am concerned that the crosswind limits are significantly lower than say a Citabria or even the basic Cessna 172 trainer. A 20 knot wind at 30 degrees or a 15 knot wind at 40 degrees puts the CC outside the limits which pretty much rules out most days at my home airport.

I wonder if the low number is due to the low landing speed and the 0.2Vso crosswind controllability requirement of FAA.
    https://www.faa.gov/news/safety_brie...opic_16-03.pdf

So if the crosswind component is higher than the 11 kts, and you come in faster is the CC controllable?
    The only real limitation in cross wind is your ability. I know a few of us have flown in winds over 50mph. I’ve never added any speed to approach for wind speed. I always use full flaps and 3 point it. Flying in 20mph winds is no problem even in 25-30mph winds if you get proficient. So I wouldn’t let that deter me.
    ‘Chuck
    Chuck Kinberger
    Southern Cubs
    Florida Cubcrafter Sales
    Jupiter Fl.
    Pa11890ck@gmail.com
    You can sit at home & hear the News or get out there & be the News

Agree with Chuck. If you don't know how to fly in wind, then your flying days are limited.

I did not want to say that one can or should exceed the rated x wind compoent, but you never know what can happen when out for a flight.

Also, on large wide runways you can easily land perpendicular or at an angle to the runway.
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL

Quote Originally Posted by Springloaded View Post
    The only real limitation in cross wind is your ability. I know a few of us have flown in winds over 50mph. I’ve never added any speed to approach for wind speed. I always use full flaps and 3 point it. Flying in 20mph winds is no problem even in 25-30mph winds if you get proficient. So I wouldn’t let that deter me.
    ‘Chuck
    Are you saying a 50 mph crosswind Chuck? That’s beyond my limit. 😎

I’ve found that I will give the airplane what it needs in a crosswind without thinking much about it. After a while it just seems normal to do so. I’ve looked at the windsock at my home airport on final before and noticed there is a crosswind and realized I didn’t even think about there being one until I read the sock.

A full deflection windsock is 15 knots and that doesn’t bother me. But big gusts thrown in with it require attention.

Unlike Chuck, I always wheel land and use brakes.
    Flying Carbon Cub EX #11 since 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Dan L View Post
    Are you saying a 50 mph crosswind Chuck? That’s beyond my limit. 😎

I’ve found that I will give the airplane what it needs in a crosswind without thinking much about it. After a while it just seems normal to do so. I’ve looked at the windsock at my home airport on final before and noticed there is a crosswind and realized I didn’t even think about there being one until I read the sock.

A full deflection windsock is 15 knots and that doesn’t bother me. But big gusts thrown in with it require attention.

Unlike Chuck, I always wheel land and use brakes.
    Hehe when it’s blowing like that,you just land into the wind be it on the ramp or the runway. Yep there’s no reason not to land across or at a angle to get rid of crosswind component. If it’s really blowing like hell line up on a taxiway, land across runway roll out onto taxiway. Getting rid of all the flaps a foot off the ground is really a big deal when winds are above 25.The true challenge is taxing in it not landing.
    Chuck Kinberger
    Southern Cubs
    Florida Cubcrafter Sales
    Jupiter Fl.
    Pa11890ck@gmail.com
    You can sit at home & hear the News or get out there & be the News

Ha! You are right, taxing can more scary than the landing.
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL

Quote Originally Posted by pv9 View Post
    Hi folks, new pilot with zero taildragger time thinking of getting a FX2 or FX3. I was wondering how significant is the 11 knot "limitation" for a relatively new pilot?

Where did you see any cross wind limitation? AFM/POH typically state "maximum demonstrated". Maximum demonstrated is not a limitation.

It's not unusual for recently soloed tailwheel pilots to have a cross wind limitation imposed by the instructor. 5 kts is not unusual. That limit will be raised as you become more proficient. If you end up owning an FX-2 or FX-3 and you can't handle more than 11 knots cross wind go find a better instructor.