Thread: CC340 Valve Noice

Default CC340 Valve Noice

Hi All,

I got an ex2 in October and have put 55hrs on it since and loving every minute. Still learning the plane and systems and wanted to know if others have hand propped their plane obviously with everything off, battery disconnected, plug wires pulled and if you hear valve lifter noise? Clicking as it’s pulled through.

Seems to sound different in flight which could be its loosening up as it breaks in. Running XC 20/50 and have changed the oil twice with a Blackstone sample that came back normal from the first change which was at 68hrs and now has 101hrs with the last oil change at 94hrs.

Tom

Default Re: CC340 Valve Noice

Quote Originally Posted by Mots View Post
    I got an ex2 in October and have put 55hrs on it since and loving every minute. Still learning the plane and systems and wanted to know if others have hand propped their plane obviously with everything off, battery disconnected, plug wires pulled and if you hear valve lifter noise? Clicking as it’s pulled through.
    What engine is that?

Titan CC340

Titan CC340
    Ok, not familiar with that engine only the Lycoming O-360 and IO-360. They make some interesting noises when pulled through by hand. My O-360 with 3,000 hours SMOH had a noise I didn't understand. I found the same noise is present in my nearly new IO-360.

I'll be happy if my IO-360 makes it to 3,000 hours.

Thanks Andy, I believe those both have mags so lots of noises coming from the impulse. The CC 340 has electronic ignition so I wouldn’t expect really any noises when pulled through by hand.

Thanks Andy, I believe those both have mags so lots of noises coming from the impulse. The CC 340 has electronic ignition so I wouldn’t expect really any noises when pulled through by hand.
    Not impulse coupling noise and the IO-360 is a CC363i with dual electronic ignition.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Not impulse coupling noise and the IO-360 is a CC363i with dual electronic ignition.
    Thanks maybe it’s nothing will keep looking. Everyone’s back Monday so hopefully will know for sure soon.

Word through the mechanic is its just the backlash in the gears. When pulling it thru by hand and as it transitions over the lobes the valve springs put a load on the back side causing it to shift to the other side of the clearance. Just seems like a lot of valve racket to me at idle. However still learning the plane and backlash makes some since. Have a call into Pete get his take.