Hmmm. Is it that obvious? Don’t get off subject 😂
    Chuck Kinberger
    Southern Cubs
    Florida Cubcrafter Sales
    Jupiter Fl.
    Pa11890ck@gmail.com
    You can sit at home & hear the News or get out there & be the News

Default Re: Where did you fly today?

Nice flight yesterdy around the north side of the Treasure Valley. Saw some hamburger/steaks but nothing else.

40m, I use to live in North Ferrisburg (work related) and loved the area. Lake Champlain is gorgeous and the Adirondacks are amazing. But winters are LONG.

1234.jpg
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL

86254F36-EADC-4589-AFD8-907A45CCEE8D.jpg

Landed in a little hidden Meadow close to home. There’s about a foot of snow here but a hard crust on top now. Like a float plane; if the engine is running the plane is moving. Almost like being on bare ice. Take off is very short…..
    Flying Carbon Cub EX #11 since 2011

Say thank you if you are one of the blessed to live where you choose and are able to enjoy the pleasures of that choice. Thank you, but I can't explain why to someone who doesn't already know.1-22-22.jpgThis morning prior to departing for Speculator NY. IMG_2524.jpgBreakfast with the boys. South Lake Champlain.jpgSouth end of Lake ChamplainRichville Dam 2022.jpgThinking of a friend and his wife in AK going through a rough patch, praying all will be well.
    Last edited by 40m; 01-22-2022 at 03:03 PM.

How do you stay warm in the plane with an OAT like that?

Here in ID we fly in the teens (OAT) and I'm usually cold by the end of the flight.
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL

IMG_0406.jpg

Yesterday at the RAF owned Ryan Field near West Glacier.

Wink Re: Where did you fly today?

Quote Originally Posted by aeroaddict View Post
    How do you stay warm in the plane with an OAT like that?

Here in ID we fly in the teens (OAT) and I'm usually cold by the end of the flight.
    Admittedly it's an effort but for me well worth it. Layers which can be easily shed as soon as you become active. I start out with a thin base layer of Patagonia tops and bottoms then Duluth Bear Claw tops and bottoms. When real cold I add a zipper neck mid layer under the Duluth top. So far this combination is light and not restrictive. Finally on the bottom Carhart lined bibs. Over the bib straps and under my parka I often add a battery heated down vest.
    Typically once off the ground as was the case yesterday the temp rose from -21 to 9. I was quite comfortable flying for several hours until I returned home. Felt lined Muck-lucks have kept my feet warm ever since Poor Joe introduced them to me. I use a Wiggy's mitten on my left hand with a hot pack and a mid weight glove on my right with a heat pack. For times where I just need to be get warm and stay warm I use a thin 5'x5' fleece blanket which I loosely drape over the firewall side of the rudder pedals covering my feet and legs up to my waist. I have cut a slit so the stick protrudes through so I can operate from above or below. Regardless of the temp the blanket will keep your lower parts and hands warm and through the slit heat will blow up towards your face. Yes I know blow heat in a pre 3 Carbon Cub but it does. Once I start to prepare for landing I toss the blanket in the back. Like I said it's an effort but I consider ski flying to be the most enjoyable of any other time of year. Yes I know Chuck both you and Judy think it's nut but don't knock -4900 foot density altitudes until you try it. Dan knows!
    Last edited by 40m; 01-23-2022 at 04:20 AM.

5D2393FF-C8D0-496F-B1ED-DCB102C24BF0.jpg

Just dress like you’re going to be outside at home in those temps. Wool pants, socks, shirt and Cold Pruf merino wool underwear for me. Schnees pacboots and a Carhart heavy hooded jacket. Probably a Massiff vest and a thin balaclava under my helmet. Several pairs of gloves and down mitts and hand warmers. And always my heavy Wiggys sleeping bag in the back.

It is easy to find air leaks in the cabin when it is cold. An ungloved hand is like a hound dog’s nose pinpointing them. Stop the leaks and the heater will get the temperature up to a tolerable level.

Like 40M says, there is often an inversion and it could be 20-30 degrees warmer not very high up.

D86900C8-3011-4F3E-A8AF-1170396BEAFE.jpg

My favorite type of flying.

I do dress for the weather; gloves, electric socks, down jacket, ... But I still get a chill on long flights.

Yup, down sleeping bag in the back with emergency stuff.
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL

Unusual winter weather today, great day to fly.

Owyhee Reservoir sandbar. 40F with sunny skies.

Owyhee-020822-2.jpgOwyhee-020822-1.jpg
    Last edited by aeroaddict; 02-08-2022 at 05:35 PM.
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL