Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where did you fly today?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Where did you fly today?

I thought hawgdvr had a good point about the community aspect of the site. With the number of CC planes, I'm sure there are some stories out there.

This thread is an opportunity to share your adventures, big and small.
    Last edited by aeroaddict; 12-23-2021 at 07:08 AM.
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL

Default Re: Where did you fly today?

BLM strip last week in the Owyhee's. This week it had snow. The strip is named Mustang due to the wild Mustang horses of the area.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by aeroaddict; 12-23-2021 at 07:17 AM.
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL

F5A08BFF-37CC-4263-8FC7-2ABE95936A2B.jpg

I put the wheel penetration skis on this week. And the pod back on too.

7C2BCA09-8EBF-4701-A84C-FF8BC41649BC.jpg

First ski flight for the winter was today. Hoping for a good winter with a lot of snow and cold.
    Flying Carbon Cub EX #11 since 2011

Buddy and I flew all the foothills checking for Elk.

Not a bad weather day for Dec. 24.

Al-1.jpg
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL

86254F36-EADC-4589-AFD8-907A45CCEE8D.jpg

Landed in a little hidden Meadow close to home. There’s about a foot of snow here but a hard crust on top now. Like a float plane; if the engine is running the plane is moving. Almost like being on bare ice. Take off is very short…..

Say thank you if you are one of the blessed to live where you choose and are able to enjoy the pleasures of that choice. Thank you, but I can't explain why to someone who doesn't already know.1-22-22.jpgThis morning prior to departing for Speculator NY. IMG_2524.jpgBreakfast with the boys. South Lake Champlain.jpgSouth end of Lake ChamplainRichville Dam 2022.jpgThinking of a friend and his wife in AK going through a rough patch, praying all will be well.
    Last edited by 40m; 01-22-2022 at 03:03 PM.

How do you stay warm in the plane with an OAT like that?

Here in ID we fly in the teens (OAT) and I'm usually cold by the end of the flight.
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL

Wink Re: Where did you fly today?

Quote Originally Posted by aeroaddict View Post
    How do you stay warm in the plane with an OAT like that?

Here in ID we fly in the teens (OAT) and I'm usually cold by the end of the flight.
    Admittedly it's an effort but for me well worth it. Layers which can be easily shed as soon as you become active. I start out with a thin base layer of Patagonia tops and bottoms then Duluth Bear Claw tops and bottoms. When real cold I add a zipper neck mid layer under the Duluth top. So far this combination is light and not restrictive. Finally on the bottom Carhart lined bibs. Over the bib straps and under my parka I often add a battery heated down vest.
    Typically once off the ground as was the case yesterday the temp rose from -21 to 9. I was quite comfortable flying for several hours until I returned home. Felt lined Muck-lucks have kept my feet warm ever since Poor Joe introduced them to me. I use a Wiggy's mitten on my left hand with a hot pack and a mid weight glove on my right with a heat pack. For times where I just need to be get warm and stay warm I use a thin 5'x5' fleece blanket which I loosely drape over the firewall side of the rudder pedals covering my feet and legs up to my waist. I have cut a slit so the stick protrudes through so I can operate from above or below. Regardless of the temp the blanket will keep your lower parts and hands warm and through the slit heat will blow up towards your face. Yes I know blow heat in a pre 3 Carbon Cub but it does. Once I start to prepare for landing I toss the blanket in the back. Like I said it's an effort but I consider ski flying to be the most enjoyable of any other time of year. Yes I know Chuck both you and Judy think it's nut but don't knock -4900 foot density altitudes until you try it. Dan knows!
    Last edited by 40m; 01-23-2022 at 04:20 AM.

Chuck, actually that’s a standard swivel end on the hose with a plug. I set the parking brake valve before removing the brake line from the calipers and don’t loose a drop of oil. Same procedure when I put the brakes back in place. Don’t even need to bleed the brakes afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan L View Post
    Chuck, actually that’s a standard swivel end on the hose with a plug. I set the parking brake valve before removing the brake line from the calipers and don’t loose a drop of oil. Same procedure when I put the brakes back in place. Don’t even need to bleed the brakes afterwards.
    Gotcha ,looked like quick disconnects I use for brakes going from floats to wheels. I do the same lock the brakes when I switch.
    Chuck
    Chuck Kinberger
    Southern Cubs
    Florida Cubcrafter Sales
    Jupiter Fl.
    Pa11890ck@gmail.com
    You can sit at home & hear the News or get out there & be the News