Thread: Lower strut attach bolts

Default Lower strut attach bolts

Hello,

The new finish manual for EX2 (Section 53/ page 179) is calling for washers (AN960-616L) and nuts (AN320-6) for the lower strut attach bolts to be fastened. Then to install the cotter pins.

I don't find any figure that shows the required hardware.

What are the bolts that are supposed be use in the 4 forks to the fuselage ?

The only bolts I have in the "Totes" that would be adequate are 4 "high shear" NAS 6206-11, but they have no hole for the cotter pin, and the forks should then be rimmed, something I'm not happy to do...

Default Re: Lower strut attach bolts

OK, I found them !!!
    Those are the TC1909-01 !!!

Quote Originally Posted by PBY Catalina View Post
    Hello,

The new finish manual for EX2 (Section 53/ page 179) is calling for washers (AN960-616L) and nuts (AN320-6) for the lower strut attach bolts to be fastened. Then to install the cotter pins.

The only bolts I have in the "Totes" that would be adequate are 4 "high shear" NAS 6206-11, but they have no hole for the cotter pin, and the forks should then be rimmed, something I'm not happy to do...

good list and info in this post. I’ve never been able to use the washers on those bolts like they say.

https://forum.cubcrafters.com/showthread.php/3266-Building-the-EX3-Tips-amp-Hints?p=22769&viewfull=1#post22769

Hello,

Dave Embry
    "You only live once.......but if you do it right.........once is enough."..

I was a the hangar yesterday and checked the strut lower attach fittings on my FX-3. There is no washer between the bolt head at the the top of any strut clevis. There is a washer under the nut at the bottom all four strut clevises. I can't identify what hardware part numbers are used but I can take photos if it would help.

Yeah they must use a different, longer bolt than listed in the manual because that bolt will not give enough room to add the washer called for under the nut. That castellated nut will not go up far enough on the bolt to get the cotter pin no matter what the torque. You would have to use a longer bolt (not in kit or called for).

There is no figure but the bolt is just called out on this page (on page 14.3).

B98F330B-A85B-4948-983D-4127DEA76332.jpg

AE9DB987-83FF-4319-A381-052A45EF3B28.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    I was a the hangar yesterday and checked the strut lower attach fittings on my FX-3. There is no washer between the bolt head at the the top of any strut clevis. There is a washer under the nut at the bottom all four strut clevises. I can't identify what hardware part numbers are used but I can take photos if it would help.
    Last edited by Daveembry; 11-15-2022 at 06:53 PM.
    Dave Embry
    "You only live once.......but if you do it right.........once is enough."..

I've made an entry in the Kit Manual Update Request form to clarify this on the next revision.

I believe the washer was needed to prevent bottoming of the threads with an older version (different supplier?) of the TC1909 bolt. Yes, current installations don't need the washer for the nut to be installed properly.
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc

Quote Originally Posted by Pete D View Post
    I've made an entry in the Kit Manual Update Request form to clarify this on the next revision.

I believe the washer was needed to prevent bottoming of the threads with an older version (different supplier?) of the TC1909 bolt. Yes, current installations don't need the washer for the nut to be installed properly.
    Thanks Pete,

That's a useful clarification for me !