Thread: The Passing of CubCrafters Founder Jim Richmond

Super Moderator

Default The Passing of CubCrafters Founder Jim Richmond

DSC01964_crop_4x3 Forum.jpg

PRESS RELEASE

CUBCRAFTERS ANNOUNCES THE PASSING OF COMPANY FOUNDER JIM RICHMOND

Yakima, Washington – November 22, 2021: It is with heavy hearts that we share the loss of our Founder, Jim Richmond, who passed away peacefully on Sunday, November 21st, 2021 surrounded by loving family at his home in Yakima, Washington. He will be missed greatly by family, friends, customers, and coworkers alike.

Both Jim Richmond and the company he founded, CubCrafters, are names that are synonymous with new innovation in backcountry aviation. Jim started the company in 1980, and although he had retired from its day-to-day management in recent years, he continued to be active in managing the strategic and creative direction of the company until his death.

A true visionary, Jim saw the possibilities in modernizing the iconic Piper Super Cub with current design and manufacturing techniques for better performance and safety. In the four decades since he founded the company, CubCrafters has manufactured a fleet of around 1500 new aircraft, and rebuilt or restored countless others for customers all over the world. The team that Jim built in the rural Washington State community of Yakima developed seven different models of aircraft over the years, both certified and experimental, along with dozens of STC’s and many other advancements to benefit the General Aviation community. The most recent aircraft added to his legacy is the nosewheel equipped XCub, an airplane that allows true backcountry access to a wider range of pilots than ever before.

“CubCrafters is truly a family. Our employees, customers, and affiliates all feel Jim’s loss,” said Pat Horgan, current company President and CEO. “In everything we do moving forward, Jim will be with us. It was his stated intention that CubCrafters would continue as the market leader in the design and manufacture of the best backcountry aircraft in the world. Both Jim’s family and the CubCrafters leadership team are fully committed to continue growing the aviation legacy that Jim started.”

A memorial service to celebrate Jim Richmond’s life is scheduled for the afternoon of December 4th at the CubCrafters Factory in Yakima, Washington, with details to follow. The family suggests donations to the Idaho Aviation Foundation (https://idahoaviationfoundation.org/) in his name, in lieu of flowers.
    Brad Damm - Vice President of Sales and Marketing
    CubCrafters - Yakima, Washington
    Office: (509) 248-9491
    Cell: (509) 961-2313

Default Re: The Passing of CubCrafters Founder Jim Richmond

I had the personal good fortune to meet and shake hands with Jim on a couple of occasions, twice at Camp Cub Crafters and once at Oshkosh. I know for him I was one among the many but for me shaking his hand he was the one. Our conversations were brief for all I wanted to say was Thank You.
    Again Jim, Thank you and may God Bless you in your travels West.
    Last edited by 40m; 11-23-2021 at 09:04 AM.

This is sad to read. Jim was a very influential power in this area of GA, in a quiet way. I enjoyed visiting with Jim at various fly-ins and trade shows and in Yakima. Jim demo-ed a Super Cub for me in the mid 90s and a Carbon Cub in 2010. The hook was set the second time and I’ve enjoyed my EX ever since.

His Cub legacy will continue but he’ll be missed by all of us.
    Flying Carbon Cub EX #11 since 2011

Super Moderator

Jim-Richmond 4-3 (700).jpg

A Celebration in Remembrance of Jim Richmond’s Life will be held at the CubCrafters Factory, from 1-3 PM, on Saturday, December 4, 2021.

This memorial celebration will pay tribute to the very special man that Jim was through a series of invited speakers and video tributes. Family, friends, coworkers, and colleagues of Jim, along with CubCrafters customers and backcountry pilots, are all welcome.

CubCrafters doors will open at 12 PM for the memorial, with the program set to begin at 1 PM in the main aircraft assembly hangar. In matching with Jim’s preferred style, casual attire is recommended.

All attendees are asked to review and follow Washington State’s Guide for Safer Gatherings during Covid-19. Please stay home if you are ill or have symptoms, wear a mask, wash or sanitize hands frequently, and take other precautions as appropriate.

Arriving by Air:

Cubs may park at the CubCrafters Completion Center ramp on the south side of KYKM, as well as any of the airport’s transient parking areas. High performance private aircraft are to park at the FBO, McCormick Air Center. CubCrafters will coordinate with the FBO for those requiring shuttle services. Commercial airline service into Yakima is available through Alaska Airlines.

Arriving by Ground:

Parking for the event will be available at CubCrafters’ Factory, located at 1918 South 16th Avenue, Yakima, Washington, with overflow parking next door at the McAllister Museum of Aviation. The paved parking lot section nearest the front of the building will be reserved for Richmond Family and disabled attendees only.

Local Lodging:

Rooms have been blocked-out with special discounted rates for 12/3-12/4 at the Holiday Inn Express and Home 2 Suites. Reduced rates are also available at the Oxford Suites and the Ledgestone Hotel. Please mention “CubCrafters” when reserving.

Online Viewing:

The celebration will be live-streamed via Facebook on a special tribute page:

https://m.facebook.com/RememberingJimRichmond

Donations:

The family requests those who wish to express sympathy consider making a donation to the Idaho Aviation Foundation or the Yakima Union Gospel Mission in his name, in lieu of flowers.

Last edited by Brad Damm; 11-28-2021 at 05:47 PM.
    Brad Damm - Vice President of Sales and Marketing
    CubCrafters - Yakima, Washington
    Office: (509) 248-9491
    Cell: (509) 961-2313