Thread: NX air filter escape

Default NX air filter escape

I've had my foam air filter depart the aircraft a handful of times on runup. Usually able to retrieve it from the grass and clean it, but not ideal and not a pro look to be searching for aircraft parts in the runup zone. I modified my procedure to slower throttle movements and this seems to have had no effect. For now I've safety-wired the foam to the wire mesh backing, but it looks pretty terrible. Any solutions out there?

Ben

Default Re: NX air filter escape

Quote Originally Posted by stretch View Post
    I've had my foam air filter depart the aircraft a handful of times on runup. Usually able to retrieve it from the grass and clean it, but not ideal and not a pro look to be searching for aircraft parts in the runup zone. I modified my procedure to slower throttle movements and this seems to have had no effect. For now I've safety-wired the foam to the wire mesh backing, but it looks pretty terrible. Any solutions out there?
    At one time CubCrafters was cutting foam filters by hand and not making a very good job of getting the shape and size correct. If yours is hand cut then, maybe, a new filter would work better.

Don't know why it would come out during run-up though. Prop wash should be pushing it into the housing. I changed my FX-3 filter because I could see that dirt could get past the edges.