Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Battery alternatives for XCub?

Default Battery alternatives for XCub?

Are there alternatives to the stock Enersys PowerSafe SBS J16 battery? We're on our third replacement, I believe due to the convenience light in the rear cabin always drawing a small amount of power. I've now pulled the fuse, but killed two batteries multiple times before I worked out that this was the issue.

But this battery seems undersized in general. Is there a better alternative, before I buy yet another one?

Default Re: Battery alternatives for XCub?

Dane,
    Im assuming you have an XCub? EAB?

Rick Bosshardt
    SunCountry Cubs
    CubCrafters Dealer for AZ/NM/UT/CO/southern WY
    www.suncountrycubs.com

Yes, it's an XCub. I don't know what EAB means.

Is yours a builder assist 215hp XCub, or an original Part 23 180hp XCub or Part 23 215hp XCub. There are essentially three versions now. Its important to know, when talking about replacing batteries.

Rick Bosshardt
    SunCountry Cubs
    www.suncountrycubs.com

Ours is the original Part 23 XCub, with the 180hp engine.

Thanks!

Bummer, as that means you cant just swap out batteries. We have started offering the new EarthX battery, and it has WAY more cranking power! And they last WAY longer than the Odyssey batteries. They also weigh 4 lbs instead of 12!

For the new builder assist Experimental XCubs, owners can just swap them out. For Part 23, you cant.

We have gotten field approvals for the new EarthX for the new Part 23 XCubs, one by one for each specific plane. You could talk to your AP about trying to get a field approval from your local FAA MIDO/FSDO for your particular plane.

I have also talked to EarthX, and they are trying to add more and more certified airplanes to their list of approved batteries for those planes, so a field approval would then not be necessary.

You can call Kathy Nicoson at EarthX at 970-674-8884, and chat with her about their timeline for getting those certifications.

Rick Bosshardt
    SunCountry Cubs
    www.suncountrycubs.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Bosshardt View Post
    Bummer, as that means you cant just swap out batteries. We have started offering the new EarthX battery, and it has WAY more cranking power! And they last WAY longer than the Odyssey batteries. They also weigh 4 lbs instead of 12!

For the new builder assist Experimental XCubs, owners can just swap them out. For Part 23, you cant.

We have gotten field approvals for the new EarthX for the new Part 23 XCubs, one by one for each specific plane. You could talk to your AP about trying to get a field approval from your local FAA MIDO/FSDO for your particular plane.

I have also talked to EarthX, and they are trying to add more and more certified airplanes to their list of approved batteries for those planes, so a field approval would then not be necessary.

You can call Kathy Nicoson at EarthX at 970-674-8884, and chat with her about their timeline for getting those certifications.
    I know this is the Xcub forum, but are they putting EarthX batteries in the EAB carbon cubs at the factory now if you ask?

Yes!

Rick Bosshardt
    SunCountry Cubs
    www.suncountrycubs.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Bosshardt View Post
    Yes!
    Great, thanks!

What is the specific Earth X battery that CC is now using? Does if fit directly in the existing compartment without any mecahinical or electrical modifications?