Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Battery alternatives for XCub?

Default Re: Battery alternatives for XCub?

I do not know which model the factory is installing, but most of us home builders (EAB) are using the 680C model. Plenty of room under the seat (not sure exctly where the battery is located on the XCub).

EarthX web site list the dimensions of their batteries.
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL

Okie, ordered our third EnerSys PowerSafe SBS-J16 battery. I think that I've eliminated the parasitic draw that destroyed the first two batteries, but I guess we'll see.

For anyone with an XCub, do pull the fuse for the "convenience" light in the rear seat area, even when it is off it will drain your battery over a month or two, which is anything but convenient.

Quote Originally Posted by dane View Post
    Okie, ordered our third EnerSys PowerSafe SBS-J16 battery. I think that I've eliminated the parasitic draw that destroyed the first two batteries, but I guess we'll see.

For anyone with an XCub, do pull the fuse for the "convenience" light in the rear seat area, even when it is off it will drain your battery over a month or two, which is anything but convenient.
    Don't know about the XCub but FX-3 with G3X have a constant battery drain for the hard wired GPS "keep alive" of the ADS-B/Transponder. It is theoretically only a few micro amps but over a period of months that could become significant. Also beware of anything left plugged into the 12 volt accessory socket as that is not isolated by Master.

Good tips Andy, thank you! New battery will arrive in a couple of days, and this time we'll keep it on a minder if it'll be left for more than a couple of days without flying.

Quote Originally Posted by aeroaddict View Post
    I do not know which model the factory is installing, but most of us home builders (EAB) are using the 680C model. Plenty of room under the seat (not sure exctly where the battery is located on the XCub).

EarthX web site list the dimensions of their batteries.
    Is the EarthX 680C a direct replacement? More specifically, are any programing changes to the G3X required? Any need to add a maximum voltage limiter? The battery has a hook up for a fault indicator that can be hooked up to an EFIS or a warning light; does anyone use that function?

I also am wondering if CC engineering is still resisting the use of the lithium battery's as they had in the past for reasons that have been well documented on the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by ceslaw View Post
    The battery has a hook up for a fault indicator that can be hooked up to an EFIS or a warning light; does anyone use that function?
    See - https://forum.cubcrafters.com/showth...ghlight=EarthX

Quote Originally Posted by ceslaw View Post
    I also am wondering if CC engineering is still resisting the use of the lithium battery's as they had in the past for reasons that have been well documented on the forums.
    Hi Dane,
    We are nearing certification completion of a properly engineered EarthX installation for the CC19. We will post when it is available, pending FAA paperwork acceptance.
    Thanks,
    Pat
    Patrick Horgan
    President
    CubCrafters | Yakima WA

Good info. Thanks.

Still wonder if a small red LED might be a better way of alerting one to an issue in addition to the G3X programming changes.

The small LED installation is a must IMO. I have installed the LED and have been alerted to a battry issue while in flight. The LED will pulse at different rates for various faults.

I had a cell that was slow to charge (LED would eventually go off). EarthX replaced the battery.
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL

Quote Originally Posted by aeroaddict View Post
    The LED will pulse at different rates for various faults.
    I don't think that was mentioned in earlier discussions of using G3X to annunciate an battery fault alert instead of using the LED. What are the pulse rates and does G3X alerting respond fast enough to convey the same information as the LED?

G3X applies heavy lags to displayed analog parameters but I don't know if it also lags discrete data responses.

I think this would need to be understood before G3X alerting was used as a replacement for the LED fault indicator.