Thread: OAT Probe

Default OAT Probe

Curious, where do they mount the OAT probes on cubs that have them? I know many don't but I'm sure the G3X equipped cubs do.

Default Re: OAT Probe

I put mine on the thin fairing skin that covers the wing root, between the wing and fuse. It is on the right side almost horizontal on the skin that you glue the rubber edging to. Far enough forward so the window will not hit it when open (EX-2, Dynon).
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL

I put the probe in the center of an inspection cover behind the jury strut on the left side. For a ground point I tied it into the same ground point as the landing light uses.

I think the goal is to keep it out of direct sunlight as best you can and away from engine heat.
    Flying Carbon Cub EX #11 since 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Robbymc View Post
    Curious, where do they mount the OAT probes on cubs that have them? I know many don't but I'm sure the G3X equipped cubs do.
    Standard factory position is in the left wing root fairing close to the leading edge. It is exposed to direct sunlight and may give misleading temperature and density altitude readings before engine start.
    Last edited by Andy; 11-09-2021 at 07:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan L View Post
    I put the probe in the center of an inspection cover behind the jury strut on the left side. For a ground point I tied it into the same ground point as the landing light uses.

I think the goal is to keep it out of direct sunlight as best you can and away from engine heat.
    Thats genius. I assume the inspections plate doesn't move at all. Thanks for the input everyone! Thinking about installing the equipment to get true airspeed/magnetic heading/wind vectors/DA on my G5.

Thanks,
    Robby

I will take a picture when I’m in the hangar next time. The probe is attached to a standard round cover with about 12”+ of extra wiring so it will dangle down when opening the cover for actual inspection purposes.