Thread: Loctite Products General Information

Default Loctite Products General Information

Finally I am about to glue the vortex generators to the wings. The Loctite 330 Adhesive Kit I have for this has a use by date 03/15 13/350 sticker on the inside of the box. Should I discard this and buy new adhesive? Or will this do the job? The spec sheet for the product suggests that it could be usable dependent on the storage conditions.

fullsizeoutput_2e0b.jpg
    Jim Morrical

Default Re: Loctite Products General Information

Quote Originally Posted by jmorrical View Post
    Finally I am about to glue the vortex generators to the wings. The Loctite 330 Adhesive Kit I have for this has a use by date 03/15 13/350 sticker on the inside of the box. Should I discard this and buy new adhesive? Or will this do the job? The spec sheet for the product suggests that it could be usable dependent on the storage conditions.
    I can't say if it will have degraded or not but be careful to check any new product you buy. I purchased this adhesive system from Amazon and was sent a kit that had been opened, used, and returned. It was replaced with one that had not been used and there was a significant difference in the weights of both components.

There can be a serious down side to buying from a company that accepts returns!

The Henkel Corp, manufacture of Loctite products, responded very quickly to my email question. They say this product will perform to their product specifications for 18 months after manufacture. They even included how to decipher their batch codes to know the date of manufacture.

I've decided use this kit other places around home and to hunt for a new kit. Don't want the vortex generators falling off here and there.
    Jim Morrical

Jim,
    I bought new Loctite adhesive when it came time for me to install the VG's on my EX-2. It was two years from the time my kit arrived and the adhesive was out dated.
    I have had no VG's separate. I am glad I used fresh adhesive.
    I suspect most average builders are not able to build quickly enough and therefore run into this issue.

David

They say this product will perform to their product specifications for 18 months after manufacture. They even included how to decipher their batch codes to know the date of manufacture.
    I was on the phone to Henkel this morning about a different Loctite product that was defective and unusable well inside the "use by" date.

On the other hand I have a Loctite kit (pipe seal, bearing fit, screw lock etc.) that I purchased over 40 years ago and everything that remains is still usable.
    Last edited by Andy; 11-04-2021 at 07:20 PM.

So, I just got an Amazon order of Loctite 330 Kit to replace my expired product. The activator cap was stained and when I opened the cap the spray nozzle was not seated on the can post and dried activator was all crystalized on the cap and inside of the top of the can. It's on the way back to Amazon!

You called it Andy.

IMG_4400.jpg
    Jim Morrical

You called it Andy.
    Bummer, maybe they sent you the one I had returned!