Bob hi

Thanks for your post about your new Catto 3 Blade 74x50 prop for your SS. I also ordered one to put on my 2013 Carbon Cub SS. The main reason for the new prop was to try and get an aircraft/engine/prop combo that ran a bit smoother. The 2103/2104 model Titan 340's puts out great power but are not (IMHO) a really smooth running engine.

To cut a long story shortish I would up ordering a new Legend Cub AL-18 with a new build (Oct 2021) Fuel Injected, Low Compression Titan 340 (174HP @8:0 to 1 compression) - to be paired with that 74x50 prop. I would have got another Carbon Cub SS but there is not a Fuel Injection option plus COVID put a brake on the FX /factory build options (Im based downunder) . Also I didnt have the budget for a new FX3 or X-Cub - which would have been great. I have averaged 200 flights (many short ones) a year over the last 2 years in my Carbon Cub SS but the old model Titans are not nearly as smooth as the 160HP 172R or the Grumman Cheetah I used to fly (Lyc 320's I believe) .

I will post a pirep on the new engine/prop combo in a couple of weeks - it would be a good data source for EX builders. By the sounds of it - the new build Continent Titan 340's (which would also go into new build CC SS's) is a smoother running engine. I will ask JB from Continental what see sees as the main differences between the old build (ECI ?) and the new build Continental versions. I think the valve flanges are different for one.

I can compare the 2 aircraft (2013 SS with the 2 Blade 80x50, 2021 AL-18 with 74x50 - FI +Low Compression). CC may well bring out a FI version of the SS in the future which would be a good thing.

To borrow a byline from the SuperCub org.

Often wrong but never in doubt !!

Rgds Charles Tym
Mudgee Australia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyq1T6xwIsM