Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Catto 3 Bladed Prop

Default Re: Catto 3 Bladed Prop

Well Chuck your experience saved me and Jim again. Stone crabs are on me this winter.

Quote Originally Posted by turbopilot View Post
    I talked to Catto about clocking. They said no issues. These Catto 3 bladed props are widely used in the RV series of aircraft.

I have only one flight through a full range of RPM's. Very smooth. My SS has the Continental made Titan X340. Maybe some differences.

Still have my 2 blade if needed but so far so good.
    I think it’s great yours runs smooth wish mine did. I really surprised you didn’t notice any weird vibration. I just figured it was because the 340s aren’t internally balanced. My first one for STOL I think it was 74-46 think my current one is 74-48. Not positive. I forgot to tell Sasser when he took mine up once and he came right back thought something was wrong. They really do look cool!
    chuck
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Springloaded; 10-28-2021 at 11:42 AM.
    Chuck Kinberger
    Southern Cubs
    Florida Cubcrafter Sales
    Jupiter Fl.
    Pa11890ck@gmail.com
    You can sit at home & hear the News or get out there & be the News

Quote Originally Posted by Springloaded View Post
    I think it’s great yours runs smooth wish mine did. I really surprised you didn’t notice any weird vibration. I just figured it was because the 340s aren’t internally balanced. My first one for STOL I think it was 74-46 think my current one is 74-48. Not positive. I forgot to tell Sasser when he took mine up once and he came right back thought something was wrong. They really do look cool!
    chuck
    Everything was very smooth. Did you have vibrations at any particular RPM/power settings? Are you using the new Catto 3 bladed prop?
    Bob Anderson, CC11-00435, N94RA

That was going to be my question; what is the age difference between the props? Maybe Catto had complaints and did something different to fix the problem.
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL

Quote Originally Posted by aeroaddict View Post
    That was going to be my question; what is the age difference between the props? Maybe Catto had complaints and did something different to fix the problem.
    Yes, there are many types of 3 bladed props.

Just to be clear I have made one test flight with this prop. I took off at full power then leveled off and let the RPM unwind at full power to full RPM. Very smooth. Smoother than the two bladed prop I took off. After that I cruised around at "max LSA power" of 44% or 80hp. Again very smooth running.

I intend to check out other power settings as well but since I spend my time flying at full power or 44% this flight covered my normal use. Will report as I check out other power settings.

I got this 2020 SS one year ago. There have not been many of these SS's made since Continental began building the 340 in Mobile. My previous SS was a 2014 SS with the Aerosport assembled 340 motor. On my first take off with the 2020 SS I immediately noticed how much smoother running the Continental Titan 340 was than the 340 in my 2014 SS. I have no idea what is different but the motor I have now before the 3 bladed prop is much smoother running at all power settings.

I would guess my current one is 3 years old. 2016 was the newest cub that’ I’ve had it on. Nicole was aware of the vibration issues and recommend I play with clocking it. Its more like a buzzing felling then a vibration once I got it clocked. The others cubs with the same issues,one has a 0-375 one has a 0-360.
    chuck
    Chuck Kinberger
    Southern Cubs
    Florida Cubcrafter Sales
    Jupiter Fl.
    Pa11890ck@gmail.com
    You can sit at home & hear the News or get out there & be the News

Well I can't speak for all the cubs in the world putting on a wide variety of 3 bladed props. Seems like a stretch to suggest putting a 3 bladed prop on a cub will automatically lead to a vibration or buzzing.

I can speak, so far, to the Catto 74X50 3 bladed propeller which according to Catto was developed exclusively for the Carbon Cub with the 340 engine.

Today I made a second flight. I flew full power, 75%, 65%, 55% and 44% power. At all power levels the engine was smooth. Vibration is subjective but at the lower power levels it is definitely less than the 2 bladed prop. At high RPM levels not sure there was much difference, but in no instance was vibration more than the 2 bladed prop. There was no "buzzing". It just runs nice and smooth.

At lower power levels I am seeing a small increase in speed (2 to 3 mph). It is still hot down here in the Palm Springs area. Temperatures aloft today were around 80F. My CHT's seem to be running lower than with the two bladed prop given the temperature but that might be due to the slightly faster cruise speeds at the same power setting. Need to do more testing.

Have not evaluated climb performance yet. Next on the list.

As I learn more I will post. So far this prop is a definite keeper.

Thanks for the reports. What was total cost with spinner?

Quote Originally Posted by 40m View Post
    Thanks for the reports. What was total cost with spinner?

Admin - Please contact Catto directly for pricing.
    Last edited by Brad Damm; 11-01-2021 at 10:32 AM.

Thanks.