Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Catto 3 Bladed Prop

Default Re: Catto 3 Bladed Prop

Bob hi

Thanks for your post about your new Catto 3 Blade 74x50 prop for your SS. I also ordered one to put on my 2013 Carbon Cub SS. The main reason for the new prop was to try and get an aircraft/engine/prop combo that ran a bit smoother. The 2103/2104 model Titan 340's puts out great power but are not (IMHO) a really smooth running engine.

To cut a long story shortish I would up ordering a new Legend Cub AL-18 with a new build (Oct 2021) Fuel Injected, Low Compression Titan 340 (174HP @8:0 to 1 compression) - to be paired with that 74x50 prop. I would have got another Carbon Cub SS but there is not a Fuel Injection option plus COVID put a brake on the FX /factory build options (Im based downunder) . Also I didnt have the budget for a new FX3 or X-Cub - which would have been great. I have averaged 200 flights (many short ones) a year over the last 2 years in my Carbon Cub SS but the old model Titans are not nearly as smooth as the 160HP 172R or the Grumman Cheetah I used to fly (Lyc 320's I believe) .

I will post a pirep on the new engine/prop combo in a couple of weeks - it would be a good data source for EX builders. By the sounds of it - the new build Continent Titan 340's (which would also go into new build CC SS's) is a smoother running engine. I will ask JB from Continental what see sees as the main differences between the old build (ECI ?) and the new build Continental versions. I think the valve flanges are different for one.

I can compare the 2 aircraft (2013 SS with the 2 Blade 80x50, 2021 AL-18 with 74x50 - FI +Low Compression). CC may well bring out a FI version of the SS in the future which would be a good thing.

To borrow a byline from the SuperCub org.

Often wrong but never in doubt !!

Rgds Charles Tym
    Mudgee Australia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyq1T6xwIsM

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesTym View Post
    I have averaged 200 flights (many short ones) a year over the last 2 years in my Carbon Cub SS but the old model Titans are not nearly as smooth as the 160HP 172R or the Grumman Cheetah I used to fly (Lyc 320's I believe) .
    May not be fair to compare vibration if the engine mount types are different. A recent CC post confirmed that all CC installations use conical mounts and I suspect the aircraft you are comparing with are, like my PA-28, dynafocal.

My 3,000 hour SMOH O-360 in my PA-28 has less vibration than the IO-360 in my FX-3. It's not that the FX-3 has bad or unpleasant vibration, it's just that that PA-28 is quieter and smoother.
    Last edited by Andy; 01-03-2022 at 06:01 AM.

All good points !! Also a heavier airframe in the Cherokee may effect the overall dynamics. Im not sure if its just me - but in my experience fuel injected engines seem to run a little smoother than normally aspirated engines. Anyway its going to be good to compare the new build Titans vs the older build ones. Will also get the DynaVibe to analyse both installations.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    May not be fair to compare vibration if the engine mount types are different. A recent CC post confirmed that all CC installations use conical mounts and I suspect the aircraft you are comparing with are, like my PA-28, dynafocal.

My 3,000 hour SMOH O-360 in my PA-28 has less vibration than the IO-360 in my FX-3. It's not that the FX-3 has bad or unpleasant vibration, it's just that that PA-28 is quieter and smoother.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesTym View Post
    Bob hi

Thanks for your post about your new Catto 3 Blade 74x50 prop for your SS. I also ordered one to put on my 2013 Carbon Cub SS. The main reason for the new prop was to try and get an aircraft/engine/prop combo that ran a bit smoother. The 2103/2104 model Titan 340's puts out great power but are not (IMHO) a really smooth running engine.
    Thanks for the message. I had a 2014 CC SS, the Titan motor in my 2020 SS is definitely smoother before the 3 bladed prop.

My new 3 bladed prop is running great. Much smoother than the 2 blade. I am not even going to dynamically balance this prop it is so smooth.

I have always wanted an injected engine in a CC but the weight penalty just does not seem to add up. 8:1 pistons would be nice as leaded fuel keeps gets more threatened.
    Bob Anderson, CC11-00435, N94RA