Thread: Ignition System Components, when you replace?

Default Ignition System Components, when to replace?

My 2013 Carbon Cub with the CC340 has 520 or so hours. The number 1 and 4 cylinders show to run a higher EGT than 2 and 3. While leaning, number 1 is peaking temperature much too soon. Resulting in the others running much richer. It also seems that it should be running smoother. It has nearly new denso IK27 plugs, with about 16 hours on them. However the coils and leads are original. Should these be changed? I also believe the carb is original and probably has not had the nozzle upgrade? Could this updated nozzle even the temperatures? The CHTs seem closely matched. At lower power settings things even out well. But this is around the 55% power range. I prefer to run it at a higher power setting. What should be done? Or am I worrying too much?

Default Re: Ignition System Components, when you replace?

Brad,
    do you or your AP use the Annual Condition Inspection checklist that is part of the Maintenance Manual? Im pretty sure in there it calls for the spark plug leads to be replaced every 3 years. You might check that for the leads, coils, etc. Its like a 10 page check list Appendix thats used for the yearly inspections.

Rick

Rick Bosshardt
    SunCountry Cubs
    CubCrafters Dealer for AZ/NM/UT/CO/southern WY
    www.suncountrycubs.com

Default Re: Ignition System Components, when to replace?

Just use EGT’s as a reference as they may read different if they are installed slightly different distances, or the way the exhaust pipes bent, flow, etc.. Their value really mean nothing. CHTs are the temps that matter and if they are even and good….then all should be good. Check out Savvy Aviation articles by Mike Busch. https://resources.savvyaviation.com/...s-debunked.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by airplanebrad@aol.com View Post
    My 2013 Carbon Cub with the CC340 has 520 or so hours. The number 1 and 4 cylinders show to run a higher EGT than 2 and 3. While leaning, number 1 is peaking temperature much too soon. Resulting in the others running much richer. It also seems that it should be running smoother. It has nearly new denso IK27 plugs, with about 16 hours on them. However the coils and leads are original. Should these be changed? I also believe the carb is original and probably has not had the nozzle upgrade? Could this updated nozzle even the temperatures? The CHTs seem closely matched. At lower power settings things even out well. But this is around the 55% power range. I prefer to run it at a higher power setting. What should be done? Or am I worrying too much?
    Last edited by Daveembry; 10-23-2021 at 12:58 PM.
    Dave Embry
    "You only live once.......but if you do it right.........once is enough."..

Default Re: Ignition System Components, when to replace?

Quote Originally Posted by Daveembry View Post
    Just use EGT’s as a reference as they may read different if they are installed slightly different distances, or the way the exhaust pipes bent, flow, etc.. Their value really mean nothing. CHTs are the temps that matter and if they are even and good….then all should be good. Check out Savvy Aviation articles by Mike Busch. https://resources.savvyaviation.com/...s-debunked.pdf
    Thank you Dave. All great points. I am a fan of Mike Busch. Thanks for sharing the article!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Bosshardt View Post
    Brad,
    do you or your AP use the Annual Condition Inspection checklist that is part of the Maintenance Manual? Im pretty sure in there it calls for the spark plug leads to be replaced every 3 years. You might check that for the leads, coils, etc. Its like a 10 page check list Appendix thats used for the yearly inspections.

Rick
    Three years seems to me to be overkill on wires. What is everyone doing?

Quote Originally Posted by lbell View Post
    Three years seems to me to be overkill on wires. What is everyone doing?
    The Light Speed Installation and Operation Manual says:

"500 hour Inspection
    All Systems:
    Replace high-tension leads at 500 hours or 10-year intervals."

The AMM rev A says:

"Spark Plug High Tension Leads: Replace every 500 hours or 3 years"

I don't know why CubCrafters guidance is so different from that of the system manufacturer.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

SSC10020AMM Rev A (2014) and SSC10000AMM Rev D (2013) call for high tension leads to be replaced every 500 hours or 3 years. This is
    in line with the revision of the LSE manual that was released at the time of those revisions. The latest version of the LSE manual (2017) has been updated to allow up to 500 hours or 10 years. It seems that the updated LSE manual could be justification for increasing the replacement interval, of which CubCrafters will review.

As a reminder, for experimental Carbon Cubs the owner/operator determines the AMM specifics for their aircraft.
    Last edited by Pat Horgan; 10-25-2021 at 09:21 AM.
    Patrick Horgan
    President
    CubCrafters | Yakima WA