Thread: ELT Antenna: vertical or horizontal?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default ELT Antenna: vertical or horizontal?

Hello all,

CC provided a bracket to attach the antenna horizontally to the back of the extended bags.
    Chuck, relayed by Dave, give excellent details about the horizontal installation in his post. He placed the bracket lower than CC suggested.

But Dave in his videos on Youtube said that the horizontal installation in several of his builds just don’t work (!!). I’m not so surprised by that, as my (too) old memories of my electromagnetism classes at the university, make me think that, to function properly, this antenna must be indeed installed vertically.

In the Kannad ELT’s Installation Manual (DOC09081E), we can read: “ELT antennas should be vertically polarized when the aircraft is in the normal flight attitude”.

Dave, on Youtube describes a vertical installation with an aluminum ground plane installed between the fairleads. As he said himself: “It isn’t pretty” ! In fact, in the Kannad Installation Manual, they also said: “ELT mounting surface should be able to whistand a static load equal to 100 times the antenna weight applied at the antenna mounting base in all directions”.

So my question is: what is for you the best method to install the RAMI whip antenna for the Kannad ELT in an EX2?

Y.
    Last edited by PBY Catalina; 09-07-2021 at 09:53 AM.