Thread: fluctuating EGT

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default fluctuating EGT

The last two flights my #1 EGT has been fluctuating. Has anyone seen this? How often are you changing the Denso plugs? Any ideas? 180 hours/FX3
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: fluctuating EGT

The fluctuating EGT readings are likely caused by an intermittent open circuit of the ground wire between the sensor and the GEA 24. (I had a similar problem with a CHT sensor on my new FX-3)

You ask about plugs in the same post but I doubt spark plugs have anything to do with the EGT issue. I have not changed my plugs (FX-3 132 engine hours). Gaps were as new at first condition inspection.
    Last edited by Andy; 09-01-2021 at 08:14 AM.

Agree, open circuit somewhere.

In regards to plugs, a bad plug (or associated wiring) is easily identified on run up.

For the CC340 on the EX-2, manual states to inspect and clean the plugs every 100hrs. I just replace the plugs every 100hrs because they are cheap (Sparkplugs.com, Rock Auto, ....).
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL

Quote Originally Posted by aeroaddict View Post
    Agree, open circuit somewhere.

In regards to plugs, a bad plug (or associated wiring) is easily identified on run up.

For the CC340 on the EX-2, manual states to inspect and clean the plugs every 100hrs. I just replace the plugs every 100hrs because they are cheap (Sparkplugs.com, Rock Auto, ....).

There is no loose wiring that I could find. I tested the resistance of the plugs. Plug from top of cylinder #1 was 6 times the normal readings of the other 7 plugs. The runup was normal, so this bad plug was not easily identifiable. I've ordered a new set. I expect that will fix the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by KCKS View Post
    There is no loose wiring that I could find. I tested the resistance of the plugs. Plug from top of cylinder #1 was 6 times the normal readings of the other 7 plugs. The runup was normal, so this bad plug was not easily identifiable. I've ordered a new set. I expect that will fix the problem.

This was a very instructive problem. The high power run-up showed no RPM change when switching between 1 and 2. However, the fluctuating EGT temperatures did indicate a problem. I put in new plugs and problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by KCKS View Post
    This was a very instructive problem. The high power run-up showed no RPM change when switching between 1 and 2. However, the fluctuating EGT temperatures did indicate a problem. I put in new plugs and problem solved.
    Thanks for the report. I had not realized that a misfiring plug would raise the EGT but here is an extract from a Savvy Analysis report that I received in my email today:

“If one of the #2 spark plugs had stopped firing, we would expect to see EGT #2 rise by about 50°F to 100°F and CHT #2 start to decline a bit."

So Andy gave me a chance to plug Savvy analysis. It's a great service, relatively inexpensive and they are excellent diagnosticians. I just use the EGT analysis, but they just added FX3 to their full maintenance service. They are the ones that figured out my problem