Thread: Alternative Fuel Approvals

Default Alternative Fuel Approvals

Hi everyone,

Unfortunately, as at other airports across the country, resistance from residents near my airport related to alleged lead contamination from 100LL is heating up. I could easily see a situation occur here as happened in CA recently where the city banned the sale of 100LL and has simply cut off supply to the local airport users.

In an attempt to try to stay ahead of this issue, I am wondering if anyone has any info on alternative fuel usage for the O-200’s in use in the Sport Cubs.

There is general information on the GAMI site that the Continental O-200 has been approved for the use of the 100UL fuel. However, I have seen nothing from Cub Crafters on the subject, and given S-LSA status, what they say, goes, as I understand it.

Any knowledge from anyone who has approached Cub Crafters on this? I’m interested in just gathering info before contacting them myself, given their presumably stretched resources these days.

Same question for Swift fuel, as well as MOGAS.

Finally, if anyone has used any of these fuels, any experience you could share would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Default Re: Alternative Fuel Approvals

Just a status update. I emailed Pete Dougherty at support@cubcrafters.com on 2/19/22, hopefully we receive a response soon. I’ll keep the post updated with any news.

Not sure why CC would comment other than to say reach out to Continental. Small standard compression Continentals have been run for many thousands of hours on auto fuel preferably efree. Check out applicable STC's available for your engine. Super Cub Forum is a great resource. Times are changing again in the color of fuel. Red was the best.

The desire for Cubcrafters to comment is due to S-LSA status, and ASTM standards. In the case of S-LSA, what the manufacturer of the aircraft says, goes, regardless of whether the engine manufacturer, or anyone else, issues their own guidance. The Sport Cub manual specifically allows for two fuel types for the Sport Cub. 100 and 100LL. Nothing else. I assume that ‘100’ being specifically distinguished from 100LL might indicate that the GAMI 100 UL would be approved. However, Swift fuel in particular, is therefore not authorized unless Cubcrafters states differently. Maybe you can interpret the ‘100’ to mean 100 octane auto fuel. Why wonder, when a simple clarification from Cubcrafters would resolve any question.

Yesterday (2/23/22) both FAA and AOPA issued statements (what appears to be an obvious intentional and coordinated effort) on transitioning from 100LL. It’s unfortunate that this has become a political issue, as Santa Clara County has proven. Regardless of all that, it would be nice to have Cubcrafters issue guidance in support of their product.

For the E-LSA owners, I understand it’s not the same issue and does not depend on the aircraft manufacturer in the same way as for S-LSA . . .

Quote Originally Posted by 40m View Post
    Not sure why CC would comment other than to say reach out to Continental. Small standard compression Continentals have been run for many thousands of hours on auto fuel preferably efree. Check out applicable STC's available for your engine. Super Cub Forum is a great resource. Times are changing again in the color of fuel. Red was the best.
    Has anyone considered water vapor injection for the high compression engine and auto fuel? Worked well back in the '70's for high compression engines during the embargo when good fuel was hard to come by. I had one on a Pontiac & took the knock right out of it.