Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lift ring sealing

Default Re: Lift ring sealing

Quote Originally Posted by Narwhal747 View Post
    Great info, thanks Dave! Much appreciated!
    Ive got some extra tape and glad to stick a little in an envelope and mail it to you. Just send me your address to daveembry@aol.com. No sense buying that big roll for a few inches needed.
    Dave Embry
    "You only live once.......but if you do it right.........once is enough."..

Back to the Lift Ring Sealing. Here is what I did after seeing Dan L's earlier comments. I used a old bicycle tube and cut out a form that fit. A simple hole punch worked perfectly to make a good fit around the lift ring. A good bit of silicone sealed it up nicely.

IMG_6514.jpg

IMG_6510.jpg
    Jim Morrical

Is there a method to fit the panel over the lift rings without widening the gap between the lift rings? Presumably the gap for sealing is then wider, but still able to be sealed for rain?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    How should the gap between the lift rings and the wing root fairings be sealed?

Clear caulking seems to be the easiest method but I wonder if anyone has had success with a close fitting rubber seal.

There was no attempt to seal these gaps on my FX-3 and they leak when parked in the rain.

Not sure what you're asking. I used bicycle inner tube to make a seal attempting to prevent water leak at the lift rings. I don't know if it was successful as I've just finished the first flights and haven't flown in any rain.

To get the leading edge wing root faring over the lift rings you have two choices. Pick a place and cut thru to open up the slot or simply press the slot down over the lift ring. I pressed the slot down over the ring. The edges were bent up just a bit around the lift ring, but not significantly. They bent right back down easily. Then I used clear silicone to seal it best I could and the finish of it looks good.
    Last edited by jmorrical; 10-10-2023 at 12:20 PM.
    Jim Morrical