Thread: Problems with interior side panels

Default Problems with interior side panels - SOLVED !

I’m facing an unexpected problem of part sizing.
    The left and right rear interior panels are too big!

When the panels are correctly positioned over the rudder cables guides the upper side of the panels are ½ inch too high.
    Have you faced this problem?

The only solution I’m considering is to cut the panels in 2 parts and to adjust.
    But this solution risk to be visually ugly…
    WhatsApp Image 2021-07-20 at 15.52.03.jpg

WhatsApp Image 2021-07-20 at 15.51.36.jpg

WhatsApp Image 2021-07-20 at 15.51.50.jpg

Any idea ?
    Last edited by PBY Catalina; 07-20-2021 at 02:28 PM.

Default Re: Problems with interior side panels

By the way, it's maybe the rudder cable fairlead which is welded too high, and not the panel which is too big!

Okay Guys...
    My mistake!

Very fast response from CC Kit support on that one !
    The problem was quickly solved.

They explained me that the gap between the top flange of the interior and the square tube, is taken up by the hook and loop velcro. Additional space is filled by adding layers of 3M double sided tape (the black 1/2" wide tape). Production reports up to four layers at the front tapering to 1 layer at the aft end is usually about right.

This is per the sketch in the manual where it calls out the appropriate p/ns.
    But as I followed the Dave advice to pre-position the panels before covering, I missed that one.

It all started because I considered that the right central panel was correctly positioned as it was against the bottom of the slot. And then I found out from kit support comments and the EX3 manual extract that they sent me that the back panels were a little further back over the cable fairlead.

So I pushed back the central panel by about one centimetre and so I was able to raise it all and fix the problem of alignment!

Thus, with this adjustment and the fact that the gap on the upper part of the panel is normal, the problem is solved!

My apologies for this mistake!
    Thank you CC for your quick response!

Well sorry to be late with this reply and I'm afraid that the info you got regarding holding that aft panel up and stacking tape under it is not the correct way that panel is to be installed......or at least not the way it was explained to me by CC. The right and left side, aft panels will fit perfectly with no gap at the top.

I'm going to try and explain here and I'll add this to my forum post about these panels so others can understand it too. I quoted your post here with your pics as I'm away from my hangar for a few days and can't take my own.

There should NOT be this gap at the top of the panel. You will use the velcro there but that is it.

Panel Top Gap.jpg
    (this gap is NOT correct)

You first take the rear panels and place them so that the BOTTOM of those panels are touching the floorboard. Drill the holes and install the clecos.

Next, you drill and install the hole BELOW the "tube" part (that goes over the rudder cable) to fix it in place.

Panel lower.jpg
    (Note the "Tube" part going over/around the rudder cable)

Next, you simply press DOWN on the TOP OF THAT TUBE AREA until the top of the panel comes down and meets the middle panels so they align.

Panel gap.jpg

So that panel is not fixed....it's FLEXIBLE and you simply press down (or squeeze the top and bottom of that "tube" area) on it until it lowers the upper part until it meets the middle panels correctly. You are simply adjusting that panel to the perfect size using that bowed out tube section.

You can see here a photo from my forum posts showing the fit of these 2 panels. Note how the "tube" area is bowed out.....sticking out....more in my photo than yours? As you press down on the top of the tube, it will bow out more in that area and bring down the top.

my aft panel fit.jpg
    (Note the tube area is bowed out as much as needed to get the top areas 2 matchup)

If you have already done this the other way, you can simply redo it using the same holes in the front of the rear panels that overlap the center section and drill new ones into the center section. You won't ever see those incorrect holes.

When I pre-install these panels, I first cut the velcro (both sides) to the proper lengths (the upper part of the left, center section that goes over the window and the upper part of both rear sections going over the D window areas. I go ahead and clean and use the adhesive promoter on the carbon fiber parts and stick the loop side to the interior panel pieces. I do NOT install the velcro anywhere on the fuse yet. I then stick the loop side onto the hook side on the panels and leave the paper on the sticky side for now. I just want to have the thickness of both sides of that velcro on before making my final holes in the pieces.

When I actually install the panels for the final time at the very end of the build, I remove the loop side from the panel where I left it.....and go ahead and clean/adhesive promotor the fuse top of window areas where it will go.....and stick it onto the fuse. I then take the wax like paper that I removed from the sticky side and use a little masking tape to hold it into position ON TOP of that loop velcro I just installed on the fuse and leave it there until my panel is perfectly in place and positioned correctly with all the holes lined up at the bottom and sides of the floorboard. When it's all good, I then hold the panel in place where I want it (to be flush with the outsides of the window areas) and pull the paper out. It's easier that way. If you just stick it together to start with, that stuff is so good of a grip that it's hard to move the panel around getting holes lined up, etc.

Hope that helps and that you can get it corrected OK if you want to.

[QUOTE=PBY Catalina;27358]I’m facing an unexpected problem of part sizing....

Quote Originally Posted by PBY Catalina View Post
    Okay Guys...
    My mistake!

Very fast response from CC Kit support on that one !
    The problem was quickly solved.

They explained me that the gap between the top flange of the interior and the square tube, is taken up by the hook and loop velcro. Additional space is filled by adding layers of 3M double sided tape (the black 1/2" wide tape). Production reports up to four layers at the front tapering to 1 layer at the aft end is usually about right.

This is per the sketch in the manual where it calls out the appropriate p/ns.
    But as I followed the Dave advice to pre-position the panels before covering, I missed that one.

It all started because I considered that the right central panel was correctly positioned as it was against the bottom of the slot. And then I found out from kit support comments and the EX3 manual extract that they sent me that the back panels were a little further back over the cable fairlead.

So I pushed back the central panel by about one centimetre and so I was able to raise it all and fix the problem of alignment!

Thus, with this adjustment and the fact that the gap on the upper part of the panel is normal, the problem is solved!

My apologies for this mistake!
    Thank you CC for your quick response!
    Last edited by Daveembry; 07-21-2021 at 06:19 AM.
    Dave Embry
    "You only live once.......but if you do it right.........once is enough."..

Quote Originally Posted by Daveembry View Post
    Well sorry to be late with this reply ...

Hope that helps and that you can get it corrected OK if you want to.
    Dave, your explanations are very precious!!! Mille mercis !