Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hangar tools & supplies for new aircraft owner

Question Hangar tools & supplies for new aircraft owner

For those of us new to aircraft ownership and particularly a FX-3, I'd like to know any recommendations of things to get for my hangar. Anything and everything you recommend for general care and maintenance. What do you use to collect the oil? Any recommended tools, torque wrenches, etc. Stools, benches, creepers? Think of what you have in yours and what's worked for you and if you have time please share, links appreciated if you have them as well.

Also, when it's time to get rid of the old oil, where do you take it?

Thank you...

Default Re: Hangar tools & supplies for new aircraft owner

Quote Originally Posted by hawgdrvr View Post
    For those of us new to aircraft ownership and particularly a FX-3, I'd like to know any recommendations of things to get for my hangar. Anything and everything you recommend for general care and maintenance. What do you use to collect the oil? Any recommended tools, torque wrenches, etc. Stools, benches, creepers? Think of what you have in yours and what's worked for you and if you have time please share, links appreciated if you have them as well.

Also, when it's time to get rid of the old oil, where do you take it?

Thank you...

My airport has an oil collection/recycling dump. Collect the oil in anything that has adequate capacity. I use pool chlorine buckets. Keep a very clean hose/tube for collecting the oil sample for analysis.

The factory pulled the lower cowling center panel for my oil changes. That's not the best way to do it. Pull only the top cowling and one side louver for access to the quick drain and no scat hoses to re-connect. All the lower cowl scat tubes connection points are horribly designed. Best to only touch them for condition inspections.

Like Andy said collect oil in anything. I use a standard automotive catch container and take it to the local auto parts store for recycle.

I connect a drain tube to the quickdrain after removing the airfilter part of the lower cowl. Really easy. But to change the oil you will need a torque wrench, safety wire pliers and safety wire. I would recommend a oil filter cutter also.

What do you need to maintain your plane? Depends on what you personally plan on doing to maintain your plane. Something to keep tires inflated obviously, but if you plan an changing your own spark plugs then simple tools, a torque wrench and anti-seize are required. If you plan on replacing the brake pads, then add in safety wire pliers and wire. The list can go on and on.

Maybe start with the basics on what you plan to do, then add tools as needed.
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL

Quote Originally Posted by aeroaddict View Post
    I connect a drain tube to the quickdrain after removing the airfilter part of the lower cowl. Really easy.
    I forget which model you have but that's not applicable to the FX-3. On the FX-3 the air filter is in the nose of the main lower cowling. The options for getting at the quick drain are:

1. Hand in the back of the cowling without removing any lower cowl panels (I have not tried it but it may be possible)

2. Remove the bottom center panel which requires disconnecting and re-connecting 2 SCAT hoses

3. Remove right side louver which doesn't require disconnecting anything (access also looks possible via the left louver but have not tried it with a hot engine)

Removing and replacing SCAT tubes ought to be easy but the stub pipes they fit on are very short and have an adverse taper (the more you tighten the hose clamp the more the hoses want to come off the stub pipe. (My comments on that design would probably be censored).

Yea, forgot to mention: EX-2. Can remove the front section to replace the air filter, but it also allows access (limited) to the bottom half.

Looked at pictures of the FX-3 cowl. Reinstalling the bottom half of the cowl back on with the 2 scat tubes is a PITB.

But you still need some tools regardless of model.

For Hawgdrvr: I say start with the basics, maybe oil change tools and go from there. You don't need a massive air compressor to keep tires inflated. But the BW's take a lot of volume!
    Last edited by aeroaddict; 06-07-2021 at 03:02 PM.
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL

yep, on the 363i it’s very simple. Get a 4’ 3/8” ID plastic hose on the aviation aisle at Home Depot 😉 and don’t take anything off on the bottom. You just reach up under the NACA duct and stick it on the quick drain. I use a regular automotive oil bucket thing.

D01571EE-D370-4098-BE44-28DA8D44C0F0.jpg

F3CE6E04-6C2A-4EB4-BF7A-69F5799D4DF2.jpg

I know the cowling is off in these photos but you can see what I’m talking about. Nothing on the lower cowling or hoses needs to be removed.

have no idea how to get these pics turned the correct direction!!!

Like Andy said collect oil in anything. I use a standard automotive catch container and take it to the local auto parts store for recycle.

I connect a drain tube to the quickdrain after removing the airfilter part of the lower cowl. Really easy. But to change the oil you will need a torque wrench, safety wire pliers and safety wire. I would recommend a oil filter cutter also.

What do you need to maintain your plane? Depends on what you personally plan on doing to maintain your plane. Something to keep tires inflated obviously, but if you plan an changing your own spark plugs then simple tools, a torque wrench and anti-seize are required. If you plan on replacing the brake pads, then add in safety wire pliers and wire. The list can go on and on.

Maybe start with the basics on what you plan to do, then add tools as needed.
    Last edited by Daveembry; 06-08-2021 at 04:02 PM.
    Dave Embry
    "You only live once.......but if you do it right.........once is enough."..

Thanks Dave! @TSquared told me of the tube via email as well, good to know the specs as he couldn't remember. Looking forward to learning by watching the first oil changes on how it all works.

So you just wanted to know the ID of tubing that fits the quick drain? Andy or I could answered that in one post.
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL

So you just wanted to know the ID of tubing that fits the quick drain? Andy or I could answered that in one post.
    No, this thread is about tools and things to get for the hangar. I was also asking about oil collection, what you use to hold the drained oil. The thread turned into a discussion on changing the oil, I figured I'd learn from who I watched when it's done the first few times.

Quote Originally Posted by hawgdrvr View Post
    I figured I'd learn from who I watched when it's done the first few times.
    I thought that too but the first time I did it myself I found a better way.