Thread: TRIM position with World VFR panel

Default TRIM position with World VFR panel

I have spend to many hours in glass-cockpit-airliners, so for my EX2, I ordered a World VFR Panel that is a good compromise.

But on the G3X, you have the TRIM position, nothing on the World VFR.

A friend of mine propose me to build a little LED warning system, activated with magnetic switches, that will indicate in the cockpit an ON/OUT of TRIM position.

This LED will flash red in an OUT of TRIM position and steady Green for an ON TRIM position before T/O, and will be deactivated after T/O.

I know the answer for a PA18, but have no experience with CC.

I want to ask to CC pilots: to what extend is an OUT of TRIM situation during T/O critical on a CC ?
    Do you think this system would be a plus ?

668/800
    Traduire un docume
    Last edited by PBY Catalina; 07-05-2021 at 11:55 PM.

Default Re: TRIM position with World VFR panel

Sorry, many answers found on a 2011 post !

here:
    https://forum.cubcrafters.com/showthread.php/606-Trim-Position-Indicator?highlight=

But more comments welcome !

Don't say "you just need to make a good external" ... it's obvious !
    EVERYBODY do mistakes.
    I would like just to know if that one is critical on CC.
    (on PA18 it could be)
    Last edited by PBY Catalina; 07-06-2021 at 12:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PBY Catalina View Post
    Sorry, many answers found on a 2011 post !

here:
    https://forum.cubcrafters.com/showthread.php/606-Trim-Position-Indicator?highlight=

But more comments welcome !

Don't say "you just need to make a good external" ... it's obvious !
    EVERYBODY do mistakes.
    I would like just to know if that one is critical on CC.
    (on PA18 it could be)
    Most every landing I make trim position is exactly where I would set it for take off. The exception to a negligible degree is when I land heavy and unload then I might adjust trim during take off role.

Quote Originally Posted by PBY Catalina View Post

I want to ask to CC pilots: to what extend is an OUT of TRIM situation during T/O critical on a CC ?
    Do you think this system would be a plus ?
    Trim is powerful and, in my opinion, a takeoff with accidental full nose up or full nose down trim would be very uncomfortable. On my first flight in an FX-3 I had set the trim for takeoff but just before takeoff I found it had run to limit. Suspected, but never confirmed, that the rear trim switch had contacted the rear seat occupant or his seat belt during taxi.

For CC with the G3-X system the trim position sensor is a string potentiometer driven directly by the horizontal stab driver. I think your easiest solution would be to buy those parts from CC and fit them before you cover the fuselage.

Once you have the pot and wiring installed it would be easy enough to come up with an analog or digital stab position indicator.

If you will be happy with knowing the stab is at the up or down limit you could probably use the existing trim limit switches but I don't think that would be a satisfactory solution.

String pot and wire is shown in attached photos. Wire may be hard to see if this site limits photo resolution.
    Attached Images Attached Images

For what it’s worth, I have full nose-down trim for every takeoff in an EX. This is with two notches of flaps. Shortly after take off my thumb is on the trim button.

the EX2 has a greater trim range than the original EX but I’ve used the same technique with an EX2 I flew.
    Flying Carbon Cub EX #11 since 2011