Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hangar tools & supplies for new aircraft owner

Default Re: Hangar tools & supplies for new aircraft owner

Good thread, I'm curious about it too. For my cessna I really only have a good set of screwdrivers, oil filter wrench, safety wire, and safety wire pliers. I use a simple 5 gallon bucket to store oil, and it holds enough for 3 or 4 oil changes even on an O-470. My mechanic has a 55 gallon drum that i put the oil in when my 5 gal fills up, he sells the used oil for heating to various establishments. I rely pretty heavily on an A&P for most maintenance and will continue to even if I obtain the repairman certificate for my FX3, at least until I learn A LOT.

How is the oil filter setup on the FX3? Draining the oil, at least on my cessna is the easy part. Getting the cowling off and dealing with the filter is 90% of the job.

Tools, standard stuff from big box stores:
    Screwdriver set: cross and flat
    Socket set: 1/4 & 3/8 drives, standard sizes, oil filter is large; 1" or 1 1/8" can't remember
    Torque wrench: you will most likely need two; one lower in lbs and one for the oil filter. Don't know what oil filter the -3 uses, my 340 takes 16-18 ft lbs. You can buy these at big box stores or at Aircraft spruce or ATS (Aircraft Tool Supply Company (aircraft-tool.com))
    Air compressor; you can use a small pancake type electric compressor found at big box stores. Example; CRAFTSMAN 6-Gallon Single Stage Portable Electric Pancake Air Compressor in the Air Compressors department at Lowes.com
    Safety Wire Pliers and Safety wire: example; MILBAR PROFESSIONAL SAFETY WIRE KIT from Aircraft Tool Supply (aircraft-tool.com)
    Assortment of aerospace quality cotter pins: ECONOMY CAD PLATED COTTER PIN KIT 500 | Aircraft Spruce
    Oil filter cutter (you want to look for metal captured by the paper element): an example, don't know if this will fit the 363 filter OIL FILTER CUTTER from Aircraft Tool Supply (aircraft-tool.com)
    Oil catch container: Hopkins FloTool Drain Pan 11838 | O'Reilly Auto Parts (oreillyauto.com)
    My favorite tool: Rolling stool at Lowes.com: Search Results
    Last edited by aeroaddict; 06-08-2021 at 06:17 PM.
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL

Forgot, one of the most used tools for me: Steel Service Cart - 16" x 30" (harborfreight.com)

Load your stuff up and take it over to the plane.
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL

Thanks Dan.

Rubbermaid FG450027BLA Utility Cart

Tried for pic.

Service cart.
    Definitely agree, most used tool in my hanger. Keeps tools handy, cowl fasteners contained and with a blanket laid on top a cradle when removing bottom cowl. This type (plastic) is less likely to tear fabric, dent or scratch when it eventually gets bumped into your plane. And it will.

This one is just right!
    Would really be good for one with issues with any current ownership and will serve the purpose!

Question Re: Hangar tools & supplies for new aircraft owner

On page 4.6 of the EX3 Wing Manual you’ll find plans for a very sturdy sawhorse. One disadvantage, though, is you can’t adjust the height. I found plans for adjustable sawhorses that make placing the fuselage in a level flight position on the sawhorses very easy and secure. You can find the plans and step-by-step instructions by searching “How to build an adjustable sawhorse” on familyhandyman.com.

The step-by-step instructions are very good, although they do omit the installation of the Lower Guides. I made a few adjustments to the cutting list.
    1. Part F, Legs: I changed to 1X6 pine wanting wider legs for more stability.
    2. Part K, Lower Guides: If the cutting instructions are followed they won’t work. Recommend a 2X6 and the finished guide should be 1-1/2”x3-3/4”x37”.
    3. When drilling the holes in the adjustable support uprights suggest drilling the two pieces together using a drill press.
    4. Plans call for a 42” adjustable top but that could easily be extended to 48” if necessary.
    Sorry, couldn’t rotate the picture.

[ATTACH]11839
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Don Duncan

”Perfection is the enemy of completion.”

When I received the 500 clecos I ordered it became obvious I needed a means to store them - neatly. My friend in Alaska noted the “industry standard” for cleco storage is coffee cans. Who knew there was an industry standard We buy our coffee beans in bags anyway, so I needed an alternative. I found an idea on another forum.
    94CB80E8-3036-4890-812C-7FFF183EE0C8.jpeg

This individual found a commercial cabinet at a restaurant supply store and modified it. The idea fit my “need” for orderliness but I didn’t have access to anything like it so I built my own.

I “borrowed a couple of heavy-duty cookie sheets from the kitchen. (Did not go over well with the chef and I had to replace them.)
    873F4602-918E-4734-9E01-20068F80CFC4.jpg873F4602-918E-4734-9E01-20068F80CFC4.jpg

I cut them in half and built a box to hold them. Then I spent several hours drilling the holes in the cookie sheets so I could install the clecos. This is the end product.
    8F4E3FA7-C312-4CB5-A72B-59D764C2D266.jpg

My EX3 doesn’t arrive for seven months so I have plenty of time to be “creative”.
    Don Duncan

I made my legs adjustable just by cutting off the bottoms of the legs a few inches, then adding a longer piece that overlaps the regular leg. Level and put a temp wood screw through both legs (the regular one and the one you added onto the outside), then put a couple 1/4" bolts and you can level all 4 legs easily.

Quote Originally Posted by VNrotorhead View Post
    On page 4.6 of the EX3 Wing Manual you’ll find plans for a very sturdy sawhorse. One disadvantage, though, is you can’t adjust the height. I found plans for adjustable sawhorses that make placing the fuselage in a level flight position on the sawhorses very easy and secure. You can find the plans and step-by-step instructions by searching “How to build an adjustable sawhorse” on familyhandyman.com.

The step-by-step instructions are very good, although they do omit the installation of the Lower Guides. I made a few adjustments to the cutting list.
    1. Part F, Legs: I changed to 1X6 pine wanting wider legs for more stability.
    2. Part K, Lower Guides: If the cutting instructions are followed they won’t work. Recommend a 2X6 and the finished guide should be 1-1/2”x3-3/4”x37”.
    3. When drilling the holes in the adjustable support uprights suggest drilling the two pieces together using a drill press.
    4. Plans call for a 42” adjustable top but that could easily be extended to 48” if necessary.
    Sorry, couldn’t rotate the picture.

[ATTACH]11839
    Dave Embry
    "You only live once.......but if you do it right.........once is enough."..

Quote Originally Posted by Daveembry View Post
    I made my legs adjustable just by cutting off the bottoms of the legs a few inches, then adding a longer piece that overlaps the regular leg. Level and put a temp wood screw through both legs (the regular one and the one you added onto the outside), then put a couple 1/4" bolts and you can level all 4 legs easily.
    Thanks for your comments and ideas, Dave. I specifically built these because the working height can be adjusted between 32” and 48” in 2” increments. The legs aren’t moved so leveling them is unnecessary. If, for some reason, the adjustable top isn’t level, a shim can easily be placed between it and the top of the main body of the sawhorse. Thus there is no need to level each leg of each sawhorse. As shown in the photo, the top of the front sawhorse is all the way down (32”) and the top on the back sawhorse is all the way up (48”). If I wanted to put my plane on sawhorses and have it in the “flying” position, I’d put the front of the fuselage on the lower sawhorse and the tail on the higher sawhorse, adjusted as necessary. I’ve seen photos on other forums of some very creative ways to achieve the flying position while on sawhorses and most looked very precarious. Lots of ways to skin this cat. My apologies to any and all cat-lovers. No cats were harmed in this discussion.
    Don Duncan