Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hangar tools & supplies for new aircraft owner

Default Re: Hangar tools & supplies for new aircraft owner

Good thread, I'm curious about it too. For my cessna I really only have a good set of screwdrivers, oil filter wrench, safety wire, and safety wire pliers. I use a simple 5 gallon bucket to store oil, and it holds enough for 3 or 4 oil changes even on an O-470. My mechanic has a 55 gallon drum that i put the oil in when my 5 gal fills up, he sells the used oil for heating to various establishments. I rely pretty heavily on an A&P for most maintenance and will continue to even if I obtain the repairman certificate for my FX3, at least until I learn A LOT.

How is the oil filter setup on the FX3? Draining the oil, at least on my cessna is the easy part. Getting the cowling off and dealing with the filter is 90% of the job.

Tools, standard stuff from big box stores:
    Screwdriver set: cross and flat
    Socket set: 1/4 & 3/8 drives, standard sizes, oil filter is large; 1" or 1 1/8" can't remember
    Torque wrench: you will most likely need two; one lower in lbs and one for the oil filter. Don't know what oil filter the -3 uses, my 340 takes 16-18 ft lbs. You can buy these at big box stores or at Aircraft spruce or ATS (Aircraft Tool Supply Company (aircraft-tool.com))
    Air compressor; you can use a small pancake type electric compressor found at big box stores. Example; CRAFTSMAN 6-Gallon Single Stage Portable Electric Pancake Air Compressor in the Air Compressors department at Lowes.com
    Safety Wire Pliers and Safety wire: example; MILBAR PROFESSIONAL SAFETY WIRE KIT from Aircraft Tool Supply (aircraft-tool.com)
    Assortment of aerospace quality cotter pins: ECONOMY CAD PLATED COTTER PIN KIT 500 | Aircraft Spruce
    Oil filter cutter (you want to look for metal captured by the paper element): an example, don't know if this will fit the 363 filter OIL FILTER CUTTER from Aircraft Tool Supply (aircraft-tool.com)
    Oil catch container: Hopkins FloTool Drain Pan 11838 | O'Reilly Auto Parts (oreillyauto.com)
    My favorite tool: Rolling stool at Lowes.com: Search Results
    Last edited by aeroaddict; 06-08-2021 at 06:17 PM.
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL

Forgot, one of the most used tools for me: Steel Service Cart - 16" x 30" (harborfreight.com)

Load your stuff up and take it over to the plane.
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL

Thanks Dan.

Rubbermaid FG450027BLA Utility Cart

Tried for pic.

Service cart.
    Definitely agree, most used tool in my hanger. Keeps tools handy, cowl fasteners contained and with a blanket laid on top a cradle when removing bottom cowl. This type (plastic) is less likely to tear fabric, dent or scratch when it eventually gets bumped into your plane. And it will.

This one is just right!
    Would really be good for one with issues with any current ownership and will serve the purpose!