Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New FX-3 tips? (brakes, engine, flying)

Default Re: New FX-3 tips? (brakes, engine, flying)

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    I created a weight and balance spreadsheet that I find useful. You'll have to plug in your own empty weight and CG from the factory data but, before that's available, it may be informative to experiment with different loadings to see how CG changes.

Use and your own risk but please tell me if you spot any errors. (edited file rev to remove registration)
    Thanks, will check it out. Do you use anything to keep on a maintenance schedule? Curious what people use to know what and when to do things.

Quote Originally Posted by hawgdrvr View Post
    Do you use anything to keep on a maintenance schedule? Curious what people use to know what and when to do things.
    I use a spreadsheet to record gas, oil, and everything I do to the airplane but I don't have any maintenance schedule except before flight checks, oil change time, and condition inspection time. Except for that everything else is "on condition".

The due date for the first condition inspection very nearly caught me out. It's due a year after issuance of the airworthiness certificate not a year after delivery.

CC does publish a template for a maintenance manual for the EX/FX.

From the first page -
    AIRCRAFT MAINTENANCE MANUAL
    DISCLAIMER Applicability: Carbon Cub CCK-1865, CCX-1865Carbon Cub CCK-2000, CCX-2000
    This document is intended as a TEMPLATE ONLY to be used as a guideline for experimental aircraft builders to generate their own aircraft maintenance manual. Builders are responsible for documenting information specific to their aircraft.

It is useful for types of fluids, greases, torques (other than standard AN/MS hardware), and inspection frequencies.

You might contact CC's for a copy.
    Last edited by aeroaddict; 06-13-2021 at 02:00 PM.
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL

Attached is the maintenance manual. It should be noted that whatever 'general maintenance' is performed should be logged in the appropriate log book (airframe, engine, propeller).
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL

Quote Originally Posted by aeroaddict View Post
    It should be noted that whatever 'general maintenance' is performed should be logged in the appropriate log book (airframe, engine, propeller).
    Since we are providing guidance to someone new to aircraft ownership would you please say where the requirement to log "general maintenance" is stipulated. Does FAA even recognize the term "general maintenance"?

14 CFR 43 Appendix A has a lot to say about maintenance, specifically preventive maintenance, but 43.1 b) 1) makes it clear that none of the requirement of Part 43 is applicable to experimental. (The operating limitations typically reference Part 43 Appendix D as one acceptable method of complying with the requirements for a condition inspection.)

I suspect there is a wide range of detail in maintenance logging for experimental (and standard airworthiness) aircraft. Some people may log that they increased left main tire pressure by 1 psi. Others would not log that they removed and replaced the entire landing gear.

You are correct; technically the FAA term is Preventative Maintenance, but it has been my experience that around the hangers general maintenance is the commonly used term.

This is a MAJOR gray zone and has been discussed on most airplane forums. There is no difference between certified and experimental aircraft for Preventative Maintenance. The difference is that a builder of an experimental aircraft may apply for a A&P license for THAT plane only. This gives the person authority to sign off the annual condition inspection.

• Experimental Amateur-Built Aircraft (E-AB) Title 14 CFR (Code of Federal Regulations) 21.191. If you build the majority of the airplane, then you can apply for and receive a repairman certificate for that specific aircraft. This allows the builder to sign off the condition inspection. The certificate is not transferable. Anyone can do the maintenance.

Certainly do not take me as an expert. The rules and regulations are typical of the government and it's best to spend some time searching for what is needed to be understood. For me, I'm fortunate, as a good flying friend is an A&P so I can bounce thing off of him.

I searched and found a AOPA article which sheds more light on the gray zone: Savvy Maintenance - AOPA

And if you want to fall asleep:
    Last edited by aeroaddict; 06-14-2021 at 01:37 PM.
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL

I'm not aware of any gray zone. 14 CFR part 43 does not apply to aircraft with an experimental airworthiness certificate (except as detailed in the operating limitations).

The referenced AOPA article is about part 43 preventive maintenance. None of it is applicable to experimental.

What regulation refers to preventive maintenance on an experimental amateur built aircraft? 14 CFR part 43 is where preventive maintenance is defined but 14 CFR part 43 does not apply.

If I want to pull the engine out of my FX-3 and take it apart to see why it's working no regulation prevents me from doing that. I don't need anyone's approval and no independent inspection is required. All that is needed is that the next condition inspection needs to be signed of by someone with authorization to do so.

The rules are actually very silly. Let's say I build one FX-3 then sell it and buy another ready built one. I can take the second one apart and put it back together and it's airworthy right up to the time that the condition inspection expires. At that point I'm not authorized to say it's still airworthy because my repairman certificate doesn't apply to that serial number. I now have to get an A&P who may not know a damn thing about the FX-3 to sign it off.

Well there you go. I'm certainly not an expert.
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL

Earlier in this thread I posted a weight and balance spreadsheet. I found an error in the fuel tank arm used in the "loading" tab. Please delete any copy you may have downloaded and replace it with the attached.

This one may also have undetected errors so verify before use!

thanks for the update, I'll check it over. While I haven't looked at this yet, is there a reason to use this over the G3X W&B which I assume handles all of this (remember, I'm clueless on this, don't have the plane yet).