Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: 35" bushwheels

Default Re: 35" bushwheels

Quote Originally Posted by aeroaddict View Post
    You have good technique. Most damage done to a covered LG is aggressive throttle blowing rocks onto the gear (or just bad luck) or in some cases going thru puddles that splashes junk forward and then getting blown onto the gear or chipping the prop (ask me how I know).

When I was glider towing off a dirt strip over 40 years ago I was taught NEVER use more power power than is necessary to get the airplane moving. Sometimes just a brief rudder wiggle is all that's need to get it rolling with low power.

My experience with rock dings is that they are usually on the horizontal stab and caused by rocks being kicked up by the tires during landing roll out. Not caused by prop blast if power is managed correctly (minimum power for taxi and full power not applied until aircraft is rolling for takeoff)

Yup, that is why I also have the clear 3M tape on the leading edge of the horizontal stab.

Buy sometimes you can't avoid the puddles. The BW's, I would imagine especially the big ones, can push a lot of water.
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL

Quote Originally Posted by aeroaddict View Post
    Yup, that is why I also have the clear 3M tape on the leading edge of the horizontal stab.
    What is the complete reference for the tape you are using. After my first stab rock strike I added several overlapping layers of 3M yellow electrical tape. It may provide some protection but it's a poor color match.

Bottom line I suppose is - Does the tape show evidence of strikes but there is no damage underneath if tape is removed.

Here is the tape on Amazon: Amazon.com : 3m clear vinyl paint protection film

To answer your last question I would say yes it does protect (obviously for general rock strikes, not major), what I don't know is how it might be when removed; difficult, easy, major residue, pulls the paint off ?????
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL