Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 35" bushwheels

Default Re: 35" bushwheels

[/QUOTE]

I’ve never had 1 1/2’” axles. So can’t answer that. I know the 1 1/4” on the FX3 is HD which and is what I put on all of my cubs including my SS. 1 3/4” brakes would be a lot on 8:50s. You literally have to try to push the pedals thru the floor with the 6” grove calipers with 35s. I almost end up in a pond the first time I flew them. I have put Beringer masters with the grove calipers on 2 cubs now. Works pretty darn good. It’s uses a smaller dia piston. Low volume high pressure. You get a lot more pedal travel, which gives you better modulation but a lot more pressure when you need it.
    ‘Chuck[/QUOTE]

Chuck, I have the Grove 1.75 dual piston and running 31" tires and stopping power of that setup is not all that great which I understand is somewhat normal with 31's. It sounds like the Berringer brake system a better option, are you using the two or three piston? how much better do you think they work over the Grove? I don't have any experience with the Berringer's.
    Steve Dentz
    N419LD
    Carnation, WA

Chuck, I have the Grove 1.75 dual piston and running 31" tires and stopping power of that setup is not all that great which I understand is somewhat normal with 31's. It sounds like the Berringer brake system a better option, are you using the two or three piston? how much better do you think they work over the Grove? I don't have any experience with the Berringer's.[/QUOTE]

I always thought the 1 3/4” brakes worked great with 31s.I wouldn’t say that’s somewhat normal at all. If there new pads make sure you break them in properly. Do you have SS brake lines? That definitely makes a difference!
    My last 3 planes have had 35s so it’s a 10”rim and different brakes. I have a set of 6” Beringer 2 piston on a XCUB with 29s I fly and I would say the baking is comparable to the groves. There just lighter and look a lot nicer. I just put a set of Beringer masters on a Robs FX3 with grove calipers and he loves it.
    chuck
    Chuck Kinberger
    Southern Cubs
    Florida Cubcrafter Sales
    Jupiter Fl.
    Pa11890ck@gmail.com
    You can sit at home & hear the News or get out there & be the News

I always thought the 1 3/4” brakes worked great with 31s.I wouldn’t say that’s somewhat normal at all. If there new pads make sure you break them in properly. Do you have SS brake lines? That definitely makes a difference!
    My last 3 planes have had 35s so it’s a 10”rim and different brakes. I have a set of 6” Beringer 2 piston on a XCUB with 29s I fly and I would say the baking is comparable to the groves. There just lighter and look a lot nicer. I just put a set of Beringer masters on a Robs FX3 with grove calipers and he loves it.
    chuck[/QUOTE]

I've broken them in correctly, de-glazed them again and I don't have any softness in the system. I think some of the problem is the fact the petal bracket for the front seat has movement due to the flexing floor board where the passenger petals don't. I can actually hand brake the passenger pedals and stop much better because there is no flexing. I wish there was a way to reinforce the flooring under the front pedals.

I was hoping someone has done a good comparison of the two brake systems with 31's, but it sounds like they are pretty much the same.
    Thanks
    Steve Dentz
    N419LD
    Carnation, WA

Quote Originally Posted by stede52 View Post
    I think some of the problem is the fact the petal bracket for the front seat has movement due to the flexing floor board where the passenger petals don't. I can actually hand brake the passenger pedals and stop much better because there is no flexing. I wish there was a way to reinforce the flooring under the front pedals.
    What model and year do you see this flexing problem? I have not noticed any front pedal flexing in my 2020 FX-3. It has metal plates between the pedals and the floor.

I once had a rear pedal save in a Champ. Right front pedal full travel and about to overshoot the runway turnoff and into the weeds. Quick hand to the right rear pedal saved the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Springloaded View Post

chuck
    The stainless steel brake lines improve braking effectiveness? I thought they were just for increased durability on aircraft with uncovered gear legs.

Quote Originally Posted by Narwhal747 View Post
    The stainless steel brake lines improve braking effectiveness? I thought they were just for increased durability on aircraft with uncovered gear legs.

I have no data but I suspect it's possible that stainless sheathed aircraft quality tubing has greater resistance to deformation than hardware store plastic tube. If the tube can expand, even a small amount, the brakes will feel softer and possibly be less effective.

I chose covered gear and stainless brake lines for my FX-3.

Yes they do. The straight Teflon tubes expand when your braking. The braided stainless restricts that and it is noticeable. The nylon can also push out of the fittings. Which usually isn’t a pretty ending.

Chuck Kinberger
    Southern Cubs
    Florida Cubcrafter Sales
    Jupiter Fl.
    Pa11890ck@gmail.com
    You can sit at home & hear the News or get out there & be the News

IIRC if you opt for Beringer wheels & brakes you're required to get SS brake lines.

Interesting! I wasn’t planning on using stainless brakes lines for the slight weight and $ savings but probably will now after this information.

Right now Im leaning toward covered gear, hd 1.75 brakes, ss lines, and 31’s with a spare set of mounted 8.50’s.

Would it possible/will there be a noticeable advantage to using beringer wheels and brake pads with the HD 1.75” calipers vs standard 6” wheels with the 31’s?

Would it possible/will there be a noticeable advantage to using beringer wheels and brake pads with the HD 1.75” calipers vs standard 6” wheels with the 31’s?

Swapping Grove wheels/tires requires splitting the caliper and having a disc mounted on each wheel. With the Beringer wheels can't you pull the wheels without disturbing the disc and caliper? (Brake disc is splined to the wheel and stays with the caliper on the airplane)

If this is going to be a twice a year swap the convenience might justify the cost.