Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 35" bushwheels

Default Re: 35" bushwheels

The beringer system does look intriguing! At the very least I will probably order the 1.75” HD brakes I’m case I do go 35” ABW.
    Is there any advantage to 1.5” axles vs the usual 1.25” cubcrafters axles when running these big tires over rough stuff?[/QUOTE]

I’ve never had 1 1/2’” axles. So can’t answer that. I know the 1 1/4” on the FX3 is HD which and is what I put on all of my cubs including my SS. 1 3/4” brakes would be a lot on 8:50s. You literally have to try to push the pedals thru the floor with the 6” grove calipers with 35s. I almost end up in a pond the first time I flew them. I have put Beringer masters with the grove calipers on 2 cubs now. Works pretty darn good. It’s uses a smaller dia piston. Low volume high pressure. You get a lot more pedal travel,which gives you better modulation but a lot more pressure when you need it.
    ‘Chuck
    Chuck Kinberger
    Southern Cubs
    Florida Cubcrafter Sales
    Jupiter Fl.
    Pa11890ck@gmail.com
    You can sit at home & hear the News or get out there & be the News

Quote Originally Posted by Narwhal747 View Post
    Breaking things on rough fields is a legitimate concern, for instance I had a mixture adjustment screw black out on landing in the 182 a few weeks ago,

Straying a bit from the tire topic but I question your analysis.

The mixture screw only controls the idle mixture. The mixture screw could have progressively backed out during the entire time the engine was running. It would have not have been detectable until the throttle was reduced to idle and the airspeed was too low to keep the prop turning.

In my opinion it is far more likely that the mixture screw adjustment change was the result of engine vibration rather than anything that happened on landing rollout.

Edited to add - Do you know for certain that the mixture screw had moved? I seldom have the throttle on the idle stop any time between start and takeoff. I prefer to keep the rpm up to avoid plug fouling.
    Last edited by Andy; 06-01-2021 at 05:54 AM.

...I am probably going to take delivery on 8.50's because I need the 8.50's for my summit wheel penetration skis. However, I am planning to keep a separate set of wheels with tires mounted for summer use.....
    I defer to the experts above but take into account the tire size you choose for delivery will affect your prop size. The 83" prop requires 29's or larger.

Chuck, I understand you're the one behind CC getting Beringers on the option sheet, thank you for that. I've heard great things about them and got them on mine now pending flight testing. Question though, have you tried the ALIR - anti-lock braking system and any opinions on that and why CC doesn't offer that paired with the Beringer setup?

Quote Originally Posted by hawgdrvr View Post
    I defer to the experts above but take into account the tire size you choose for delivery will affect your prop size. The 83" prop requires 29's or larger.

Chuck, I understand you're the one behind CC getting Beringers on the option sheet, thank you for that. I've heard great things about them and got them on mine now pending flight testing. Question though, have you tried the ALIR - anti-lock braking system and any opinions on that and why CC doesn't offer that paired with the Beringer setup?
    I really like them. I not sure why you’d want the anti lock. I personally would rather decide how much brake I do or don’t need. Not really sure what the advantage would be in our type aircraft. I haven’t ever flown them though.
    Chuck
    Chuck Kinberger
    Southern Cubs
    Florida Cubcrafter Sales
    Jupiter Fl.
    Pa11890ck@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by hawgdrvr View Post

I'm going with the 80" prop most likely.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy
    Straying a bit from the tire topic but I question your analysis.

The mixture screw only controls the idle mixture. The mixture screw could have progressively backed out during the entire time the engine was running. It would have not have been detectable until the throttle was reduced to idle and the airspeed was too low to keep the prop turning.

In my opinion it is far more likely that the mixture screw adjustment change was the result of engine vibration rather than anything that happened on landing rollout.

Edited to add - Do you know for certain that the mixture screw had moved? I seldom have the throttle on the idle stop any time between start and takeoff. I prefer to keep the rpm up to avoid plug fouling.

I had done another landing on a different strip about 10 minutes before that then back taxied for a few minutes with the throttle at or near idle with no problem. No way to know for sure I guess if it was purely installation error, engine vibes, rough field landings, or some combo of all of the above + time. I took my A&P's word for it that the mixture screw moved (same guy that put the carb back on after overhaul). I eventually got it started back up and high tailed it back to the home field. The mechanic removed the cowl, fixed the screw, and it has flown problem free for 5 hours since.

Hawgdrvr made a good point. I would highly recommend the 83” prop. So you might want to think about that with your tire decision.
    ‘Chuck
    Chuck Kinberger
    Southern Cubs
    Florida Cubcrafter Sales
    Jupiter Fl.
    Pa11890ck@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Springloaded View Post
    Hawgdrvr made a good point. I would highly recommend the 83” prop. So you might want to think about that with your tire decision.
    ‘Chuck
    What data do you have to compare 80 and 83 inch props? Static thrust, takeoff distance, cruise performance, vibration - anything else? Genuine question and not attempting to be argumentative.

I know not many go with 80 inch prop but I have never regretted that choice.

Just as an FYI - I flew the FX-3 demo on skis with 8.50 and 83 inch prop. Nothing bad happened and I had only 1 hour on type before that flight.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    What data do you have to compare 80 and 83 inch props? Static thrust, takeoff distance, cruise performance, vibration - anything else? Genuine question and not attempting to be argumentative.

I know not many go with 80 inch prop but I have never regretted that choice.

Just as an FYI - I flew the FX-3 demo on skis with 8.50 and 83 inch prop. Nothing bad happened and I had only 1 hour on type before that flight.
    No data at all just what I felt when I flew it. Could t figure out why it seemed sluggish. I have no idea what cruise performance was,didn’t fly it long enough. Didn’t notice any vibration they both are pretty smooth. I commented when I landed and that’s when I learned it had a 80” prop. I’ve flown 2 of them now. It’s not the end of the world and It works fine I just prefer to 83. With hundreds of hrs in FX3 with a 83,i noticed instantly something was different.
    Chuck
    Chuck Kinberger
    Southern Cubs
    Florida Cubcrafter Sales
    Jupiter Fl.
    Pa11890ck@gmail.com

Thanks for the discussion, I still have at least 5 months to decide. Since I only have 15 hours tailwheel I might compromise some performance for safety and stick with the recommended 80" prop on the 8.50's and max tire size of 31". Once I pay for the bulk of the airplane in December then I can focus on beefing up my tailwheel training in rented citabrias, and PA18 's instead of working all the time. Got my endorsement back in '03 in a Stinson 108-3. Even with the 80" I expect the FX3 will takeoff and land in less than half the distance of my 182B, still cruise at the same speed, with the same payload, without my constant worry about 60 year old airplane maintenance problems and carb ice (500 feet and 120 mph IAS are about the best it does on 3x8.50, 1850 empty on a 2650 MTOW).

Thanks for the discussion, I still have at least 5 months to decide. Since I only have 15 hours tailwheel I might compromise some performance for safety and stick with the recommended 80" prop on the 8.50's and max tire size of 31". Once I pay for the bulk of the airplane in December then I can focus on beefing up my tailwheel training in rented citabrias, and PA18 's instead of working all the time. Got my endorsement back in '03 in a Stinson 108-3. Even with the 80" I expect the FX3 will takeoff and land in less than half the distance of my 182B, still cruise at the same speed, with the same payload, without my constant worry about 60 year old airplane maintenance problems and carb ice (500 feet and 120 mph IAS are about the best it does on 3x8.50, 1850 empty on a 2650 MTOW).
    You absolutely won’t be disappointed in what ever you decide.
    Chuck Kinberger
    Southern Cubs
    Florida Cubcrafter Sales
    Jupiter Fl.
    Pa11890ck@gmail.com