Thread: AOA Indicators

Default AOA Indicators

Anyone using this instrumentation? Useful? Does it cause you to do something different knowing your AOA?
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL

Default Re: AOA Indicators

Quote Originally Posted by aeroaddict View Post
    Anyone using this instrumentation? Useful? Does it cause you to do something different knowing your AOA?

Standard G3X fit uses an AOA/pitot probe (2 port probe) and provides a visual AOA scale on the PFD and an audible indication of high AOA. It does not have, and does not need, a separate AOA indicator.

I find the AOA audio very useful on short approach. If it's not chirping I'm too fast. On the other hand a chirp when climbing out is a good indication that the nose may need to be lowered a bit.

Some people don't seem to like the AOA audio but I wouldn't like to be without it in the FX-3. I would have no interest in having it in my PA28 but I don't take that where I take the FX-3.

Thanks Andy. I agree with the usefulness of an AOA.

The issue for me would be the probe installation. My EX-2 has the plain pitot tube off of the jury strut. To do AOA I would have to install an AOA probe or most likely and pitot/AOA probe. Not to difficult, but some effort would be involved.
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL

Dan,

Were you asking about a specific AOA instrument? I saw no attachment or hyperlink in your original post so I assumed it was a general question.

General question. If forum members replied with "it the best thing ever", then I would probably must up the energy and install the probe and associated plumbing.
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL

Ha, I guess I should spell out my search question/words next time.

Angle of Attack Indicator (cubcrafters.com)
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL

Quote Originally Posted by aeroaddict View Post
    Ha, I guess I should spell out my search question/words next time.

Angle of Attack Indicator (cubcrafters.com)
    Interesting comments by Randy. I wonder if the G3X AOA system using the Garmin GAP 26 pitot tube rectified all the previous shortcomings. I'm going to guess yes. I'm still on the fence about whether or not to go world VFR or G3X on my FX3.

agree entirely with Andy. after training with Tac Aero, you learn to keep eyes outside and listen for that tone. I would fly the airplane off that audible tone and it very efficient to not have to scan the AI as often. granted, this was primarily for those slow 3 point landings where you where trying to land as short as possible.
    ---------------------------------------
    Roy Diaz
    Midland, TX
    KMDD
    CC FX3

----------------------------------------