This is from the link I gave you to my post. Note it lists that etching primer for aluminum surfaces and is what I have been using.

CC now has confirmed (via Pete below) they are using the DP50LFG for the composites. My info below is exactly what CC and PPG recommend for aluminum, composites and paint with the FDGH Delfleet Evolution paint system. Don’t know what else to say?

Hope that helps. No other conclusions.

Delfleet Evolution Painting

Primers

• Aluminum surfaces. F3960G primer 1:1 with F3961F Catalyst. 1 wet coat. Paint immediately after sanding/cleaning surface. 24 hour pot life. 30 min. – 72 hours before sanding required before topcoat.
  • Plastic & Composite Surfaces. DP50LFG Epoxy Primer (the “50” is Gray color) 2:1 with DP402LFQ Catalyst. 72 hour pot life. 1-2 wet coats. Dry to topcoat: 30 minutes if 1 coat and 60 for 2. Sand after 1 week to Recoat/topcoat.
  • Plastic Windows. (“D” windows and bottoms of front windows). Same but first spray Bulldog Adhesion Promoter on; let stand 5 minutes and then spray primer.

Topcoat

• FDGH Delfleet Evolution. Mix 3:1 with F3260 Hardener and 6 oz. F3400/F3405/F3410 Accelerator per mixed (after the mix) gallon. F3400/Fast Dry. F3405/Medium Dry. F3410/Slow Dry.
  • If hot and humid you can add 10% of the reducer F3331(warm temps); F3330 (medium) and reduce flash time between coats to 5-10 minutes. I found it a little too thick without the reducer coming out of a 1.3 tip, so I did use the reducer.
  • 4-5 hour pot life @ 70F. 1 cross coat or 2 coats.
  • 1 cross coat or 2 coats with 5-8 minutes between coats if using the faster accelerator. Don't let it get too dry.

Quote Originally Posted by aflyer View Post
Dave, I appreciate all the work you have done to detail your building methods.

I have read through the data sheets extensively, and try to listen to all the experts, you, the guys in the local paint store, and the old painter who just retired 6 months ago. I have spent hours reading the PPG stuff.

In the FDGH data sheet, one statement says "Performance Comment: Wash and Etch primers must be sealed before applying topcoat for optimum performance". The recommended 3960 is an etch primer. I haven't heard any mention of that from you or CC or any of my other experts.

I am feeling some frustration this morning after a disaster yesterday painting my struts. I'm still looking into the cause, but it may be that I didn't seal the primer, there is some incompatibility there. I will try to call PPG when they get to work.

Thanks, John