Thread: Finding hidden holes

Default Finding hidden holes

We’re just finishing covering wing and tail feathers, preparing to spray PolyBrush and PolySpray. I’m concerned about finding certain holes in the future after finishing, such as the rivet holes for the elevator trim tabs. Should I try to keep these open thru the finishing process? Or Are they easy enough to locate after final paint? Thanks
    Also, could someone enlighten me on the Rudder Trim Tab, TC3007-001? I have one, but see no info in manual, see no brackets on rudder frame.
    Last edited by Ak Paul; 08-10-2022 at 05:57 PM.

Default Re: Finding hidden holes

Quote Originally Posted by Ak Paul View Post
    Also, could someone enlighten me on the Rudder Trim Tab, TC3007-001? I have one, but see no info in manual, see no brackets on rudder frame.
    I have a picture from my final FX-3 build session. The rudder trim tab is fitted to the left side of the rudder. The photo seems to show the center forward hole mounted to the rib above the tail light and the upper and lower screws going into the rudder rear tube. It uses sheet metal screws that like to come out.

Attached image is an enlargement from a cell phone picture but should give the general idea. I probably have better photos but not on this computer.

EX may be completely different.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bummer - I saw that hole in the rib, assumed it was for another fabric rivet! Sure hate the thought of drilling it out, to have the hole available for the trim tab. One more task. Thanks Andy

Paul,

Holes are usually pretty easy to find by feel after fabric and paint. I don’t open the holes up until after paint because I don’t want all that stuff in the holes. I take a “pick” or awl and after feeling with my finger, use that dental pick or awl and press down a little. You can then see the hole. I then poke a small hole with the pick and once I’m sure that’s it, I press it all the way in . I then burn the hole fully open with a soldering iron. I don’t believe the rudder trim holes are in the rudder. You have to drill them…..slowly!

542AF962-9048-428E-854D-F7203ADDC8B5.jpg

Use the elevator trim tabs as guides. Just locate one hole and the lay the trim tab over it and you can use the holes in the trim tab as a guide to locate the holes in the elevator. Hopefully you pre-drilled them before cover like I advised in this post.

https://forum.cubcrafters.com/showth...ll=1#post22290

Quote Originally Posted by Ak Paul View Post
    Bummer - I saw that hole in the rib, assumed it was for another fabric rivet! Sure hate the thought of drilling it out, to have the hole available for the trim tab. One more task. Thanks Andy
    Last edited by Daveembry; 08-10-2022 at 08:16 PM.
    Dave Embry
    "You only live once.......but if you do it right.........once is enough."..

Thanks Dave. Answers my hole finding question. I did not see nor can find in the manuals the rudder diagram with tab, but searching your posts just saw it in #105. Got the rivet drilled out, so we’re fine. Appreciate the assistance. This summer has been fun with fabric covering.