Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Paint Prep - Carbon Fiber Parts

Default Re: Paint Prep - Carbon Fiber Parts

Quote Originally Posted by Daveembry View Post
    Delfleet Evolution Painting

Primers

• Aluminum surfaces. F3960G primer 1:1 with F3961F Catalyst. 1 wet coat. Paint immediately after sanding/cleaning surface. 24 hour pot life. 30 min. – 72 hours before sanding required before topcoat.
    • Plastic & Composite Surfaces. DP50LFG Epoxy Primer (the “50” is Gray color) 2:1 with DP402LFQ Catalyst. 72 hour pot life. 1-2 wet coats. Dry to topcoat: 30 minutes if 1 coat and 60 for 2. Sand after 1 week to Recoat/topcoat.
    • Plastic Windows. (“D” windows and bottoms of front windows). Same but first spray Bulldog Adhesion Promoter on; let stand 5 minutes and then spray primer.

Topcoat

• FDGH Delfleet Evolution. Mix 3:1 with F3260 Hardener and 6 oz. F3400/F3405/F3410 Accelerator per mixed (after the mix) gallon. F3400/Fast Dry. F3405/Medium Dry. F3410/Slow Dry.
    • If hot and humid you can add 10% of the reducer F3331(warm temps); F3330 (medium) and reduce flash time between coats to 5-10 minutes. I found it a little too thick without the reducer coming out of a 1.3 tip, so I did use the reducer.
    • 4-5 hour pot life @ 70F. 1 cross coat or 2 coats.
    • 1 cross coat or 2 coats with 5-8 minutes between coats if using the faster accelerator. Don't let it get too dry.

Hi Dave,

I'm putting together a preliminary bill of materials for sourcing the paints, primers, etc. for my EX-3. Any chance you have an idea of the rough quantities you think it takes to complete one of your builds?

My paint design is only going to have two colors, but I'd like to get started on understanding the price points and any delays in availability the distributors might have.

I'm not looking for anything too specific, just rough guesses if you have them.

Thanks!

Patrick

Patrick,

“Roughly” I’ve used about 2 gallons of the color used in half the fuse and wings and 1 gallon on the other parts.

The new paint uses a bit more I think than the DUHS did since the mixing ratio is higher.

Thats enough to get you started. I started using my local PPG guy here in town and he can mix me up whatever quantity I need the same day (instead of having to order like a gallon and wait a week for ground shipping to get it here). By doing that, I order less to start with and then just re-order more as I need it.

Quote Originally Posted by ptredway View Post
    Hi Dave,

I'm putting together a preliminary bill of materials for sourcing the paints, primers, etc. for my EX-3. Any chance you have an idea of the rough quantities you think it takes to complete one of your builds?

My paint design is only going to have two colors, but I'd like to get started on understanding the price points and any delays in availability the distributors might have.

I'm not looking for anything too specific, just rough guesses if you have them.

Thanks!

Patrick
    Dave Embry
    "You only live once.......but if you do it right.........once is enough."..

Quote Originally Posted by Daveembry View Post
    Patrick,

“Roughly” I’ve used about 2 gallons of the color used in half the fuse and wings and 1 gallon on the other parts.

The new paint uses a bit more I think than the DUHS did since the mixing ratio is higher.

Thats enough to get you started. I started using my local PPG guy here in town and he can mix me up whatever quantity I need the same day (instead of having to order like a gallon and wait a week for ground shipping to get it here). By doing that, I order less to start with and then just re-order more as I need it.
    Thanks, Dave…that helps a lot!

I am about to paint the engine cowlings. I want to keep the composite weave areas unpainted for contrast.

1. Do I remove the mask immediately after sealer/primer then re-mask for paint?
    2. Or do I seal and paint then remove the fine line tape?

I plan to prime one day then paint the next and I worry that pulling tape on dried sealer would be trouble.

Any information would be appreciated.

IMG_5145.jpg
    Jim Morrical

How timely. I just finished that same project.

I made a precise pattern, laid it on the cowl and placed tape around the perimeter. Then set the pattern aside and applied tape along the inside of the taped line. The outer line was then removed. This assured exactly the same shape on both sides and with a pattern it was easier to get a visual reference.

Once it was thoroughly masked the primer was sprayed. The masking was left in place. The next day the paint was sprayed. Several hours later all the masking was removed. The lines were sharp and precise.

Epoxy primer followed by Aerothane were used.

IMG_0976.jpg

KRQE7452.jpg