Thread: Fueling your plane - do you let others do it?

Question Fueling your plane - do you let others do it?

Curious if you let others fuel your plane of it you always do it? At airports where a fuel truck comes to you, are there any issues with them having you do your own plane or do they have to fuel it for some liability issue? My concern is obviously a fabric covered plane and damage that can be done from a nozzle.

What are your tips for a new aircraft owner to be and that of a fabric one at that?

Default Re: Fueling your plane - do you let others do it?

It doesn't matter the type of plane, there can be issues when someone else fuels your plane.

I would guess that it would have to be a pretty serious accident to penetrate the cloth. It's pretty durable. I'd be more concerned about denting the leading edge with the nozzle or hose.

To answer your question, no I do not let other people fuel my plane.
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL

Never.

Simple rule - After my FX-3 left the factory no one touches it except me.

The FX-3 filler necks are smaller than normal airplane gas tanks. It requires care to make sure the pump nozzle does not put any strain on the necks.

The fuel hose would like to wipe off the leading edge vortex generators. How many fuel truck guys would care?

The FX-3 pisses out fuel if it is filled to top of the necks but the fuel truck driver wants to sell you as much fuel as he can.

Back to rule 1 - No one touches my FX-3 except me!

I have never asked for a fuel truck and insisted I do the fueling. I have only fueled my FX-3 at self serve pumps.
    Last edited by Andy; 05-04-2021 at 03:55 PM.