Thread: Service Alert SK-SA001

Default Service Alert SK-SA001

http://cubcrafters.com/c/wp-content/...ert-Rev-NC.pdf

There may be some connection between this service alert and the misleading pitch attitude and AFCS nose down hard-over events that I experienced in phase 1 flight test. At that time Garmin and CubCrafters blamed my "events" on a defective GSU 25C and it was replaced. Earlier this week I experienced another extreme pitch attitude error. It was only when I report this to CubCrafters that I learned of the service alert.

If you fly at night, and don't have a G5 or other backup attitude indicator, you should look at this Service Alert. I can assure that, even in day VFR, an AFCS nose down hard-over will be attention getting. On a dark night with no visual reference recovery will be much more difficult.

Talking Re: Service Alert SK-SA001

Ordered- Have had NO pitch problems in 75hrs. CCX-2300-0011
    XCub: CCX-2300-0011
    SPOT X TRACKING: https://maps.findmespot.com/s/09SL

Default Re: Service Alert SK-SA001

There may be some connection between this service alert and the misleading pitch attitude and AFCS nose down hard-over events that I experienced in phase 1 flight test. At that time Garmin and CubCrafters blamed my "events" on a defective GSU 25C and it was replaced. Earlier this week I experienced another extreme pitch attitude error. It was only when I report this to CubCrafters that I learned of the service alert.
    When my aircraft was delivered from the factory in November I had the same problem. Intermittent hard pitch overs on autopilot with occasional CAS messages. More often than not the problem happened at higher RPMs.

I found the top connector on the GSU25 loose. There are two thumb screws holding down each GSU 25 connector. One thumb screw on the top connector was not engaged. The other one was loose. Yet there was enough contact to keep the connection.

Once I torqued down those screws no more problems. Oddly the installation passed the Engine Run Up Vibration Test. Given this SB seems to related to acoustic energy you might want to look for other issues involving the GSU 25.
    Bob Anderson, CC11-00435, N94RA

Quote Originally Posted by turbopilot View Post
    Oddly the installation passed the Engine Run Up Vibration Test
    Unfortunately data logging is not enabled when the vibration test is run so it's not possible to see what's actually happening to the GSU 25 status word and AHRS Dev when that test is run. Running the test with G3X in normal flight mode provides a data log which is more informative than the "canned" engine vibration test.

There is a G3X firmware update that includes changes that are related to this service alert. Firmware version 8.81 updates from ver 8.72 and includes these changes:

> Add support for miscompare monitoring between ADAHRS and standby flight display

> Add CAS messages to indicate ESP inhibited

> Change ESP to inhibit protection when a miscompare is detected and specific ADAHRS source is not selected

> Update GSU 25 C/D firmware from 2.50 to ver 2.60 (changes not defined)

These changes may be of interest to anyone who has a G5 integrated with G3X by CAN Bus.

Having annunciation of attitude miscompare between GSU 25 and G5 is a significant enhancement. Previously attitude comparison monitoring was only available in systems that had more than one GSU 25 (or for the certificated G3X - one GSU 25 and a GMC 507).

This morning I received an email from an FAA contact. It notified me that Garmin had issued Service Alert 2144. Anyone using a GSU 25C ADAHRS should read this alert.
    Attached Files Attached Files

To be notified of Garmin Service Alerts subscribe here -

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/aviatio...ibe-to-alerts/

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    To be notified of Garmin Service Alerts subscribe here -

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/aviatio...ibe-to-alerts/
    Thanks for sharing this Andy. Some of us are completely new to this. As you think of anything to help us new aircraft owners I welcome any links, suggestions, documents, tips, schedules, spreadsheets, etc.