Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Application of Service Bulletin SK-SB007 _ Jury strut braket rivets

Default Re: Application of Service Bulletin SK-SB007 _ Jury strut braket rivets

Quote Originally Posted by aeroaddict View Post
    Rumor/speculation not fact.
    Was the rumor/speculation that the aircraft was/were being moved by pulling the jury struts? That seems like a bad idea but I have seen it done on similar aircraft. Pulling on the forward lift strut can be a bit awkward because of the aileron cables but I don't have a problem slipping my fingers between the cable and the lift strut.

I just don't see why these rivets are failing. The normal flight loads on the jury struts should be very low.

Hello Gentlemen,

It seems to me that correct answers were already present in our constructive discussions above.

This is the official response from CubCrafters:

"The mandatory portion of the SB is referring to the preflight inspection. No further action is required if all of the brackets are tight. It is not mandatory to change the rivets (unless they are found to be loose).
    If you as the builder want to proactively install the cherry max rivets that is absolutely ok. The cherry max rivet has a higher shear value which in this case is the primary load and would be considered an improvement.
    Have a great day, hope that clears things up."

Thank you Pete !

And now let's go back to build !

Yves

Agreed with your comments on the moving of aircraft using the FORWARD lift strut.

Again, the comments were speculative and if people are moving the plane over bumps, inclines, jerking to get the plane moving, etc. using the struts (maybe even using the aft strut) I could potentially see the strut brackets wearing prematurely and coming loose. But I believe this would take a lot of hours for it to happen.

I also think that it is a very small number of aircraft that have seen this condition.

Yves, good to hear you had a quick response! Build on!
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL

Related to this I think it is a good idea to change out the plastic bushings in the jury strut attach points and use a torque wrench when the new bushings are snugged up.
    Flying Carbon Cub EX #11 since 2011

Use bolts during build.