Thread: Silicone to glue the wires.

Default Silicone to glue the wires.

The Wing Manual recommend the use of silicone to glue the wires in the slot in the edge of the spar.

I know that there are different qualities of silicone, but I do not know of any brand recognized as being of good or bad quality.

Is a bathroom type home silicone acceptable where an aviation grade silicone is required?
    Do you have any recommendations on that?

Tks !
    Y.

Default Re: Silicone to glue the wires.

Cannot answer if the aviation grade is better than the box store brand.

I just used the 100% silicon from the big box store. Wires are still in place after 190 hrs. I also see A&P/AI use big box store silicon on scat tubing and other engine compartment places.
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL

Quote Originally Posted by PBY Catalina View Post
    Is a bathroom type home silicone acceptable where an aviation grade silicone is required?
    Do you have any recommendations on that?
    It should be possible to obtain an MSDS (or equivalent) which will list most of the "ingredients". Some silicone caulks seem to contain acetic acid which would corrode alumin(i)um.

(Web search - silicone acetic acid corrosion)

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    It should be possible to obtain an MSDS (or equivalent) which will list most of the "ingredients". Some silicone caulks seem to contain acetic acid which would corrode alumin(i)um.

(Web search - silicone acetic acid corrosion)
    Thanks for the warning, Andy.
    Indeed, I discover that all the silicones I find here in the «big box store» contain acetic acid!
    So I need to find a "NEUTRAL" one.
    Any brand that would be aviation compatible would be welcome.
    I don’t know any of them!
    Last edited by PBY Catalina; 04-16-2021 at 02:00 PM.

You will find that most if not all will have acetic acid in them, including the fancy Dow Corning stull AircraftSpruce sells.

Acetic acid assists with the curing rate. You can find neutral curing silicones that use alcohol but take longer to cure. The neutral silicones are less likely to attack the substrate.

You can find the neutral cure sealants with a internet search. Not sure I could find them locally here though.
    Last edited by aeroaddict; 04-17-2021 at 06:58 AM.
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL

Thanks Dan,

Thanks to you and Andy, I know where to look at now.

Rgrs,

Yves C.

I suppose I should point out that I don't know that the acetic acid will cause any significant corrosion of the spar. I expect kit support can tell you what CC uses in production.

My FX-3 wing photos show clear caulk was used where the pitot/static tubes pass through the rib grommets and also where the spar wiring exits at the wing root. Leading edge is closed so can't see what was done on the spar itself.

I finally found a "neutral" silicone here in a giant store. The brand is an Italian one: "SARATOGA", and they provide on their website all SDS documents, specifying that there is no risk of corrosion on alumin(i)um.

Your remarks were useful, Andy & Dan. Tks !

Y.

Hello.

I did a search of the GE Silicone products and inquired about the composition of their products:

Thank you for e-mailing Henkel Corporation. We appreciate your interest in our products.
    The GE Advance Silicone Window and Door and GE Supreme Window and Door are both neutral cure. Please see attached technical data sheets and link to website for your review.

https://gesealants.com/our-products/all-products/

For questions, comments or suggestions, please feel free to call us at (800) 624-7767, Monday through Friday, between the hours of 9:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. Eastern Time; or visit us on the Web at www.loctiteproducts.com, www.ositough.com or www.lepageproducts.com. For GE Silicone sealant inquiries please call (877) 607-7407 or visit the GE website at: www.gesealants.com.
    Thank you for your inquiry. I hope you find this information helpful.

Sincerely,

Consumer Relations Representative
    Henkel Corporation