Thread: Prop ding

Default Prop ding

So, today I landed in what I thought was a dry field. The ground turned out to be damp and the dirt a bit "sticky". I suspect a piece of mud flung off the tire and was thrown (forward over the tire-live and learn) into the prop on landing. I sustained a small ding on the aft, trailing edge about 3/4 out from the hub. It's a Hartzell 83" composite prop. I can just barley feel the ding with a finger nail. The bigger area is just a paint chip. I thought I would discuss with Hartzell next week. Any suggestions? Epoxy filler?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Prop ding

Same thing happened to me. Mud and small rocks were flung forward and hit my Catto prop.

Called Catto and they said to use JB Weld and then wet sand back to profile.

I would call Hartzell and ask them if there is a fix.

Hey, at least you are using your plane off road!
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    So, today I landed in what I thought was a dry field. The ground turned out to be damp and the dirt a bit "sticky". I suspect a piece of mud flung off the tire and was thrown (forward over the tire-live and learn) into the prop on landing. I sustained a small ding on the aft, trailing edge about 3/4 out from the hub. It's a Hartzell 83" composite prop. I can just barley feel the ding with a finger nail. The bigger area is just a paint chip. I thought I would discuss with Hartzell next week. Any suggestions? Epoxy filler?
    I'd suggest a look at the owner's manual and the repair manual:

https://hartzellprop.com/MANUALS/145-0000-A.pdf
    https://hartzellprop.com/MANUALS/170-0000-A.pdf

Thank you.
    The manual, 170 was extremely helpful. Anyone with a prop ding should have this reference.
    I did talk with a prop shop in Boise. Because the damage was within airworthiness limits I was able to put five minute epoxy (they did not like the JB Weld idea) in the small gap (after a small amount of carful Dremel work). A little touch up paint and bingo-bango, as good as new. The prop guys did suggest every couple years bring the prop in for them to strip it down, including the small epoxy fixes, and they will resurface the propeller to be as good as new.