Thread: Electrical harness quality control and testing.

Default Electrical harness quality control and testing.

I thought that all the harnesses prepared by CubCrafters were of impeccable quality as many of you had pointed out on this forum. And it is true that from the point of view of the realization of the welds and connectors it is well done.

But I also thought that these harnesses would also have been rigorously controlled and that therefore I could install them directly on the plane without controlling continuities.

So I installed all the harnesses by strictly controlling the connections as indicated in the CubCrafters diagrams. To eliminate all errors, I wired with a friend electronic technician and we spent several days controlling each other’s work. Apart from some small hesitations due to some lack of explanations and minor errors on the drawings, everything went well until we put the harnesses under tension to control the few systems that can be controlled at this stage of the construction. And there, from the first test we found a reversal in the cable numbering.

This is a small disaster for us because we did not test the continuity of any harness before the installation and therefore we do not know if other more important mistakes were made. We have to control everything while everything is connected, or take it all apart and start over!

The error discovered concerns the harness -901 and the numbering of the cable MB04A20W-1 (EXT CB <-> POWER STRIP TOP OF CB BAR ) which is crossed with the cable LB17A20W-1 (PULSE LAND SWITCH <-> LANDING CB ). For us the error was made on the LEFT HEADER side, because the connectors on the main bus bar were correct.

HARNESS 901 REVERSE NUMBERING.jpg

( My installation is “World VFR”, but this wiring is identical on versions with “G3X”)

The purpose of this message is to ask you if you have any ideas to control all these wiring without having to disassemble everything, and before installing the Boot Cowl and the engine.

Thank you for your suggestions and help.
    Yves
    Last edited by PBY Catalina; 03-09-2022 at 12:44 AM.

Default Re: Electrical harness quality control and testing.

Okay, more fear than harm.
    We tested all equipment except ignition and EMS.
    We found no other errors in the harnesses.

If you have suggestions to test the EMS and ignition before you start the boot cowl, they are welcome!

Yves. Have you seen this post? It and several more there in the thread give some configuration and testing including the ignition as well as a wiring chart. There also is a document in Dropbox on checking out the ignition.

https://forum.cubcrafters.com/showth...ll=1#post22501

Here is another bit of info on that as well. (Sorry, I couldn’t get screenshots so pics)

FDEBCCA4-B951-4A42-AA03-D8B1A34C0ACA.jpg

2067BDA0-F647-42C0-9DB4-E8473A69D321.jpg

1F3AEF35-33C3-44AF-BEA4-B38F58A87297.jpg

I’ve had good harnesses always in the past with the exception of 2 separate ones that had some pins (#6 and 8) reversed on the magnetometer connector. In my thread, I show you how to test that as well.

Quote Originally Posted by PBY Catalina View Post
    Okay, more fear than harm.
    We tested all equipment except ignition and EMS.
    We found no other errors in the harnesses.

If you have suggestions to test the EMS and ignition before you start the boot cowl, they are welcome!
    Dave Embry
    "You only live once.......but if you do it right.........once is enough."..

Quote Originally Posted by Daveembry View Post
    Yves. Have you seen this post? ...

... I’ve had good harnesses always in the past with the exception of 2 separate ones that had some pins (#6 and 8) reversed on the magnetometer connector. In my thread, I show you how to test that as well.
    Thanks Dave !
    I miss post "TESTING THE SYSTEM". t because I though all those infos were G3X related, and I don't have the magnetometer, but all the rest is very useful ! I'm going to read that in details !
    Last edited by PBY Catalina; 03-09-2022 at 07:18 AM.

A new technical question for you:

Those are the two RPM sensors connected to the IGNITION MODULES LEFT & RIGHT, and the BOTTOM CONECTOR of the EDC-33P.

question.jpg

The questions are:

• Do we have to keep the isolators (B on the picture) and the what are labeled “79” (C on the picture).

We suspect that those are used only with magnetos equipped engines.

• Do you confirm that the two green wires labeled “GEA04A22” (A on the picture) are connected the way we did it on the picture? (page 6 of World VFR manual?)

We have now completed all the tests of the ignition as well as all the others that it is possible to do. Everything is ok the first time!

“A small step for a man… but a giant leap for a EX2 builder!”

Once again a big thank you, Dave

Quote Originally Posted by PBY Catalina View Post
    A new technical question for you:

The questions are:

• Do we have to keep the isolators (B on the picture) and the what are labeled “79” (C on the picture).

We suspect that those are used only with magnetos equipped engines.

• Do you confirm that the two green wires labeled “GEA04A22” (A on the picture) are connected the way we did it on the picture? (page 6 of World VFR manual?)

• No, the isolators are not used with the lightspeed ignition

• Yes, the harness with the ring terminals is supplied from Electronics International. If using magnetos those would go to the key switch so they put ring terminals on the wires. In the electronic ignition installation like you have they would connect to the green wires that provide RPM signal out of the light speed ignition boxes as you have shown in your photo.
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc

Quote Originally Posted by Pete D View Post
    • No, the isolators are not used with the lightspeed ignition

• Yes, the harness with the ring terminals is supplied from Electronics International. If using magnetos those would go to the key switch so they put ring terminals on the wires. In the electronic ignition installation like you have they would connect to the green wires that provide RPM signal out of the light speed ignition boxes as you have shown in your photo.
    Great !
    Thank you Pete !