Thread: How much oil?

Default How much oil?

I just purchased a Carbon Cub SS with the X340 engine and am getting conflicting info on how much oil to add with a oil change and when to add oil. I see every thing from 4.5 Qts on a oil change to 5 Qts and 6 Qts and to add at 3.5 qts and to add 1 qt when it gets to 4.5 qts. My dip stick has mutiple marks on it and that may be because of the attitude of the plane from having 6.00X6 tires up to the 35" tires it has now. I have also read that the filter and the lines hold one qt of oil and I need to know if that all drains back into the sump when left sitting. I need to drain all oil and start adding oil to mark the dip stick correctly. Previous owner did not even know.

Default Re: How much oil?

My experience (EX-2), about 6 qts on a change; 5 in the pan and 1 in the filter/hoses.

I typically fly with 5 qts. anything over 5 ends up on the plane or hanger floor.

Engine manual says 6 qts.
    Last edited by aeroaddict; 03-07-2021 at 01:38 PM.
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL

Several hours after a short run-up a 5 quart change will show 4 quarts on the stick standing on 31" tires. On 8:50's the stick shows 4 1/4 quarts. I will then add 1/2 a quart. Typically I will add 1/2 quart every 5 hours until the next change in 30 hours.
    Most of the time I'm just loafing along so I try to push it hard at max RPM towards the end of each flight for 10-15 minutes,
    never letting CHT's reach 400 during this exercise. Depending on conditions the duration might need to be abbreviated. This practice was suggested by two Aerosport techs. The rational is to minimize carbon build up, I suspect it might help with lead as well.

Aero Shell 100P

Thank you very much for your responses. This will help me a lot. My CC is also on 31's. I am going to drain it overnight and change filters and check and maybe remark the stick as I add oil.