Thread: Magnetometer mounting location

Default Magnetometer mounting location

First let me state that I'm not at all avionics knowledgeable with all the abbreviations and symbols. With that being said my question is, can I mount my magnetometer high in the extended baggage area. A friend helping me, mounted his out on the wing leading edge. I don't have that option. Any help please. Thanks

Default Re: Magnetometer mounting location

What does the manufacturer of the magnetometer recommend? Typically a metal tubular fuselage is not a good place for mounting.

I have not heard of mounting one in a wing leading edge, but I guess it can be done. My Dynon is aft of the rear spar around the fuel tank area. Garmin I believe suggests further out on the wing toward the tip.
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL

The G3X magnetometer needs to be out in the wing, usually mounted to the aft spar outboard of the wing strut. The G3X instrument panel manual in the kit dropbox has some details near the end of the manual.
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc

Quote Originally Posted by Pete D View Post
    The G3X magnetometer needs to be out in the wing, usually mounted to the aft spar outboard of the wing strut. The G3X instrument panel manual in the kit dropbox has some details near the end of the manual.

That is a location that has been shown to work but I don't see why other locations could not be used, perhaps with some reduction in accuracy of magnetic heading and all derived parameters.

If I was faced with the choice of cutting open a completed wing or trying a fuselage location I think I'd try the fuselage location first and see how well the auto calibration worked. If that result was not satisfactory there is still perhaps the possibility of using compensating magnets external to the magnetometer. Compasses can be compensated in far from ideal locations.

Just flying a hypothetical kite. Feel free to cut the string.