Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any top in speed gain from a suspension upgrade?

Default Any top in speed gain from a suspension upgrade?

hey all, wondering if upgrading from the bungee suspension to a modern shock will add anything to the top end? very interested in something like acme aero and I understand the benefits, I was wondering if drag is reduced also. Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Any top in speed gain from a suspension upgrade?

Hi Robby,

There is no speed difference over the bungees but there are several benefits. Would love to talk with you about the acme suspension upgrade, give me a call at 805-441-9573.

-Ben
    Ben Hodges
    California Cubs
    www.californiacubs.com

Wink Re: Any top in speed gain from a suspension upgrade?

Quote Originally Posted by Robbymc View Post
    hey all, wondering if upgrading from the bungee suspension to a modern shock will add anything to the top end? very interested in something like acme aero and I understand the benefits, I was wondering if drag is reduced also. Thanks in advance.
    No noticeable horizontal gain but a definite reduction vertically. Now on the other end a T3 will give you about 30MPH. lol

I wonder if it is possible to install fairings on AOSS or Acme shocks. I have read that it can add 2-3 mph to have fairings on stock bungees. On an FX3 or xcub, that number could be even higher. I know this is a sport cub question though, and on any of them it might not be practical from a maintenance and durability standpoint.

Quote Originally Posted by Narwhal747 View Post
    I wonder if it is possible to install fairings on AOSS or Acme shocks. I have read that it can add 2-3 mph to have fairings on stock bungees. On an FX3 or xcub, that number could be even higher. I know this is a sport cub question though, and on any of them it might not be practical from a maintenance and durability standpoint.
    What Carbon Cubs do not have fairings on bungee gear when bungee gear is fitted?

I have seen a photo of fairings on Acme shocks but I don't remember what speed increase, if any, was claimed.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    What Carbon Cubs do not have fairings on bungee gear when bungee gear is fitted?
    I had hydrosorb/bungees on my EX to begin with. I did not fair them. I used the black vinyl snap on pouches that Dodge sells. Easier to inspect the bungees and I personally think the Piper style fairings are just plain ugly.

Going from 31s to skis I see about a 5 mph increase in cruise speed. Big tires have a drag penalty for sure. Something the size of an Acme shock I doubt is going to make a noticeable difference.
    Flying Carbon Cub EX #11 since 2011

There’s a few running around
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Chuck Kinberger
    Southern Cubs
    Florida Cubcrafter Sales
    Jupiter Fl.
    Pa11890ck@gmail.com
    You can sit at home & hear the News or get out there & be the News

Quote Originally Posted by Springloaded View Post
    There’s a few running around
    DSCN2333.jpg

This is the way my was configured originally. Bungees, then AOSS and now Acme.

IMG_0221.jpg
    Last edited by Dan L; 03-02-2021 at 10:19 AM.
    Flying Carbon Cub EX #11 since 2011

Quote Originally Posted by 40m View Post
    No noticeable horizontal gain but a definite reduction vertically. Now on the other end a T3 will give you about 30MPH. lol
    thanks for all the responses!! Forgive my ignorance, what does that all mean 40m? Going from stock bungee to shocks will climb slower due to weight? Also how does a tail shock effect 30mph of anything but ground roll speed. Lol. Super confused.

Quote Originally Posted by Robbymc View Post
    thanks for all the responses!! Forgive my ignorance, what does that all mean 40m? Going from stock bungee to shocks will climb slower due to weight? Also how does a tail shock effect 30mph of anything but ground roll speed. Lol. Super confused.
    Not ignorance, just me being a smart ass. Acme shocks have little to no tendency to bounce hence the reference to vertical.
    As far as the reference to T3 I'm just a fan. ( I did use lol for the first time I guess it just didn't go over very well )

40M