Thread: G3X autopilot and trim motor

Default G3X autopilot and trim motor

Has anyone tried to connect the trim switch (and therefore motor) to a GSA28 Garmin pitch trim servo. An aside is how much current does the trim motor draw. Max for the GSA is 1 A.

Dan Ballin

Default Re: G3X autopilot and trim motor

Well I'll answer my own question. The long and short is not you cannot drive the trim motor on the Carbon Cub with the GSA28 autopilot servo. The issue is the current draw is to large and you will damage the servo. TCW has a solution that works in between and allows the servo to work with higher amperage motors. It is there safety trim servo booster. Couple hundred bucks just wasn't worth it for me but there you goi.

Dan Ballin

I’ll confirm that. I originally wired the trim through the pitch servo for auto trim. Worked fine for a long time. Then the pitch trim stopped working unless I pulled the autopilot servo circuit breaker. I had to rewire the trim control out of the pitch servo for the trim to work.

It should be easy enough to use a pair of relays to provide the required current handing but I doubt it's worth the effort. In my experience a power change is often a more appropriate response to the trim alerts. That works for VS descent to ALT CAP or VS climb to ALT CAP assuming the airplane was in trim in level flight when AP was first engaged.