Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Offer TK1 Shock Monsters as an option for customers

Default Re: Offer TK1 Shock Monsters as an option for customers

Slight subject change; has anyone running the Acmes noticed that the aluminum eccentric bushings don’t always seem to stay where they’re supposed to? My right wing tip is lower than the other and I’ve determined this is probably the cause, that the bushing is rotating and allowing the shock to move into the cabane pocket farther. With the tire off and moving the gear (while the plane is suspended) I can get it to shift and it makes a clicking sound.

when I pull my skis I’m going to look into it deeper. But I’m wondering if anyone else has seen this?
    Flying Carbon Cub EX #11 since 2011

Ive seen and heard the same thing on my 17 SS. I have been on and off the amphibs twice this year, and both times we removed the gear, the bushings have been 180 degrees off. Im not sure of the purpose for the eccentric offset, seems if they were center drilled it would do the same thing. Hopefully Matt will chime in
    jim

Quote Originally Posted by Dan L View Post
    Slight subject change; has anyone running the Acmes noticed that the aluminum eccentric bushings don’t always seem to stay where they’re supposed to? My right wing tip is lower than the other and I’ve determined this is probably the cause, that the bushing is rotating and allowing the shock to move into the cabane pocket farther. With the tire off and moving the gear (while the plane is suspended) I can get it to shift and it makes a clicking sound.

when I pull my skis I’m going to look into it deeper. But I’m wondering if anyone else has seen this?
    No Dan I have not.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan L View Post

Dan, the only time we've experienced this is when the upper cabane bolt was not torqued to proper specs or incorrect spacer width was used. Please give us a call at 704-496-9022 Ext. 2. We'd be glad to send you new bushings and supply you with proper torque specs for your application.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouter View Post
    Ive seen and heard the same thing on my 17 SS. I have been on and off the amphibs twice this year, and both times we removed the gear, the bushings have been 180 degrees off. Im not sure of the purpose for the eccentric offset, seems if they were center drilled it would do the same thing. Hopefully Matt will chime in
    jim
    Jim, the purpose of the eccentric bushings is to accommodate all cabane interference from centerline of the bolt hole to the tubing. We do have centered bushings that we can supply if your cabane will accept them without interference. If they are spinning it could be the wrong width. We can supply new bushings along with proper torque specs. (Bolts must be torqued, unlike bungees).

Quote Originally Posted by hawgdrvr View Post
    The construction of the shocks does make it an easy choice, to me that choice is TK1 Shock Monsters. I've seen far too many fractures and failures of Acme Aero's that even if they were given to me I wouldn't use them, I don't trust them. For anyone using them I highly recommend inspecting the top mount area for fractures in the material. No matter which shock, I will use a safety cable, I bought the one for TK1's, it's cheap insurance.

I don't have any experience landing on TK1's, I trust in those I respect such as the Flying Cowboys that speak highly of Tony and the TK1's all of which use TK1's except for one that is now obviously sponsored by Acme Aero noted by the leading edge and has since changed to Acme's. I have little experience landing on Acme's and yes, they seemed fine, that's not the point, it's the trust and construction is where they lose me, not the performance of the shock itself. I've seen plenty of raving reviews of TK1's as well as Acme on SuperCub.org. Shock performance for both seems great, it comes down to which design do I trust the most which is how I concluded with my choice.

With all due respect anyone that financially benefits from the recommendation either through commission or sponsorship (noted by Acme Aero on their leading edge) is excluded from those I take opinions from other than my own salesman, Chip, who has been fair, balanced, and respectful whom I trust through our conversations. I welcome opinions of fellow pilots (non salesman) here or SuperCub.org but it's moot, I've made my decision based on my research and study of shock failures and also how the company handled those failures. The choice that I will trust is TK1 shock monsters. I have them in hand. the material and design is amazing. With that said, CubCrafters could offer both and let the customer choose the product they are comfortable with and want to spend their money on. The shock choice is a cult in this community for whatever reason and cannot seem to get a fair and balanced discussion most likely due to financial reasons underlying the discussions. That is MY opinion.

So rather this thread turn into a one vs. the other, I have simply asked that CubCrafters consider offering the competing product to allow the customer to choose the landing gear they prefer. I'm not asking for TSO certification, maybe TK1's could only be offered for non certified if it came to that and CubCrafters couldn't or wouldn't want to do the testing desired.
    Just to clarify in regards to apparent "sponsorships". The only pilot or plane we have sponsored is Jaden Newman. As for the leading edge decals, anyone running a leading edge decal has requested and receives no incentives from Acme. They do so on their own choosing.

Leading Edge decals are available for free to anyone that is running our products. Please reach out to us directly at acmeaerofab.com.

Quote Originally Posted by hawgdrvr View Post
    With all due respect anyone that financially benefits from the recommendation either through commission or sponsorship (noted by Acme Aero on their leading edge) is excluded from those I take opinions from other than my own salesman, Chip, who has been fair, balanced, and respectful whom I trust through our conversations. I welcome opinions of fellow pilots (non salesman) here or SuperCub.org but it's moot, I've made my decision based on my research and study of shock failures and also how the company handled those failures. The choice that I will trust is TK1 shock monsters. I have them in hand. the material and design is amazing. With that said, CubCrafters could offer both and let the customer choose the product they are comfortable with and want to spend their money on. The shock choice is a cult in this community for whatever reason and cannot seem to get a fair and balanced discussion most likely due to financial reasons underlying the discussions. That is MY opinion.

So rather this thread turn into a one vs. the other, I have simply asked that CubCrafters consider offering the competing product to allow the customer to choose the landing gear they prefer. I'm not asking for TSO certification, maybe TK1's could only be offered for non certified if it came to that and CubCrafters couldn't or wouldn't want to do the testing desired.
    Just to clarify in regards to apparent "sponsorships". The only pilot or plane we have sponsored is Jaden Newman. As for the leading edge decals, anyone running a leading edge decal has requested and receives no incentives from Acme. They do so on their own choosing.

Leading Edge decals are available for free to anyone that is running our products. Please reach out to us directly at acmeaerofab.com.

Respectfully let's keep this thread on topic per the original post requesting CubCrafters offer TK1 Shock Monsters as an option for customers to choose. It is fantastic to have the choices we have now, thank you, asking to further expand allowing customers to fulfill their dreams off the line at time of delivery.

Thank you.

Yup, slight thread drift, but isn't it fantastic that a supplier replied to his customers!
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL

Damn....this thread reminds me I need to get my Acme's ordered for my EX3 build. Best shocks on the market hands down!!