Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Forward looking camera for G3X

Default Re: Forward looking camera for G3X

Absolutely agree, many many bad things in that video. But if an airplane was in your periphery via camera it may have saved that situation. My biggest fear is some person or kid running out, or an animal that you don't see. I have little experience in this arena but I'm trying to maximize my safety options. I still intend to add the camera, how I use it will be determined later. Nothing wrong with having options when the G3X offers them as capabilities easily added. I'm thinking of mounting it in that far forward piece that drops down where the filter is on the front of it. It has to be away from the exhaust obviously but be able to look forward.

You are adding unneeded weight to an airplane that should endeavor to be as light as possible. A camera view forward will cause one to fixate and lose the overall situational awareness around you. This is a sure fire way to ground loop your plane. S-turn, use a cushion, grab a V-bar and pull yourself up off the seat if you are wondering, stay further ahead of your plane...lots of better options to know what's in front of you taxiing. On a landing you should have your LZ cleared long before something comes into view on a grainy camera on your PFD which you should not be looking down at to begin with during the most critical part of the operation. Your peripheral and focusing down range is what keeps you going straight in a taildragger, don't look down and remove that input...you will swap ends.

Quote Originally Posted by Clay Hammond View Post
    You are adding unneeded weight to an airplane that should endeavor to be as light as possible. A camera view forward will cause one to fixate and lose the overall situational awareness around you. This is a sure fire way to ground loop your plane. S-turn, use a cushion, grab a V-bar and pull yourself up off the seat if you are wondering, stay further ahead of your plane...lots of better options to know what's in front of you taxiing. On a landing you should have your LZ cleared long before something comes into view on a grainy camera on your PFD which you should not be looking down at to begin with during the most critical part of the operation. Your peripheral and focusing down range is what keeps you going straight in a taildragger, don't look down and remove that input...you will swap ends.
    Certainly agree with where the attention should be during landing and rollout. There still could be some advantage to having a camera for checking under the nose before, and perhaps during, taxi.

If weight really was an issue people wouldn't be fitting 29 and 31 inch ABW just because they look "cool". Some people go places that need them. I suspect that most never will.

The sole intended use is during taxi. Very easy to switch what the G3X shows. The weight is literally a few ounces at best. The safety factor could be significant if used properly. I completely get all the passionate responses and this is something that obviously goes against core tailwheel fundamentals, I get it. I've been told lifting yourself up by grabbing the rails to look over the nose is a bad technique, s-turns is what should be done. Again, I just think having a video ahead added to the peripheral is a benefit just as we've come to have rear view cameras on our cars as standard now which should not take away from turning your head and using mirrors either.

So, which camera?

I just helped a friend install one of these cameras into a new G3X equipped KitFox. He could not see over the glare shield during taxi with his 29" tires. Works great. He does not need 29" tires but they look cool.

Will need one of these adapter plugs to interface the camera video leads to the G3X.
    Last edited by turbopilot; 01-27-2021 at 02:53 PM.
    Bob Anderson, CC11-00435, N94RA

Quote Originally Posted by aflyer View Post
    So, which camera?
    Links in the first post.

http://forum.cubcrafters.com/showthr...ll=1#post26327

Do you have the link to Trent’s YouTube handy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't find the video post prop strike in a quick search but this one shows the video input

https://youtu.be/iyfenVwqNz8