Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: TacAero FX-3 Training - Fredericksburg, TX

Cool TacAero FX-3 Training - Fredericksburg, TX

Today I completed the one week FX-3 course with TacAero at T82 in Fredericksburg, TX. My instructor was Kris. We had one down day (Wednesday) for weather (and I really needed it!) other than that great flying in various weather conditions. Kris was outstanding, the course was outstanding, the experience was outstanding, for my own safety and education this week was invaluable. The FX-3 is a "complex" aircraft (sts) with the constant speed prop, fuel injection, and flight characteristics. I consider this training mandatory for FX-3 owners, it is well worth the cost.

I am truly impressed with CubCrafters and the FX-3. The quality is outstanding, the flight characteristics were amazing. The flight controls were so easy to use and very effective. The constant speed prop is awesome, the 363i is impressive. I was fortunate to ask many many many questions and Kris was outstanding in educating me and reinforcing my decision. I learned a ton about things to look for, learn about performance and systems which is crucial to me as this is all required knowledge in my Air Force experience prior to touching the plane. I inquired about night flying and we got a flight in at night which was outstanding. The landing lights are actually sufficient in my opinion, taxi lights would help.

The plane is a dream to fly and land. I had heard a lot of negative things prior to this all which are untrue, properly trained the plane is an amazing aircraft to fly. I flew two FX-3's while here, a 2019, and "Specter" the 2020 model which actually handled so much better in many ways. I was able to go look at another FX-3 on the field with BRS as I'm getting, and another FX-3 with a similar paint scheme as I am considering, so a valuable week all around.

Thank you TacAero for this opportunity. You have made me a far safer pilot for when mine comes in having the required knowledge to operate and fly this aircraft safely. Build week starts Feb 8 for me so I'm looking forward to Yakima in a few weeks. I cannot speak more highly of Kris as the instructor, friendly, knowledgeable, super patient with my gazillion questions and overall outstanding. Tessa and Ian are also outstanding and it was great to meet them and fly with Ian today among 3 cubs doing a pseudo cross country with 3.5 hours and multiple airfields and a lunch stop in the middle of nowhere.

The FX-3 is awesome, no question about it!

Default Re: TacAero FX-3 Training - Fredericksburg, TX

This is truly great to hear. I met Jeremy yesterday and he was super helpful and nice. A true professional. I’m scheduled to do my training on Apr 5th. Looking forward to it.

I spoke to him at length about the configuration and options. He was extremely helpful in providing his view on several matters. I recommend that you speak to him as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good to hear. There is no magic to a tail wheel, it's just practice and skills development as you now know.

Try to land at as many different airports as you can. Sounds like the cross country should meet those needs.

Now it's close to 'go time' on the build!
    Last edited by aeroaddict; 01-09-2021 at 10:01 AM.
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL

Quote Originally Posted by hawgdrvr View Post

The plane is a dream to fly and land. I had heard a lot of negative things prior to this all which are untrue, properly trained the plane is an amazing aircraft to fly. I flew two FX-3's while here, a 2019, and "Specter" the 2020 model which actually handled so much better in many ways. I was able to go look at another FX-3 on the field with BRS as I'm getting, and another FX-3 with a similar paint scheme as I am considering, so a valuable week all around.
    What were the differences between the 2019 and 2020 FX-3 that made them so different? I was not aware of any changes in the FX-3 build standard that would impact flight characteristics. G-series flaps/ailerons were standard on all FX-3.

http://cubcrafters.com/c/2017/02/g-s...ailerons-faqs/

That's a great question. I saw that and wondered the same thing.

Both models have the newer G series ailerons and flaps as you know.

IMO; 2 things that can greatly affect the feel or handling of a plane is weight and rigging, so maybe a slight variation between the two planes.
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL

The 2019 was had a stiffer throttle, stiffer rudder pedals, I don't know. The 2020 with about 100 hours on it was very nice and just seemed smoother, easier, all around. Don't think there was anything technically different, just two different aircraft and each has their own characteristics as we all know.

72 landings in four days, 6 at night.

Quote Originally Posted by hawgdrvr View Post
    72 landings in four days, 6 at night.
    How many each of:

full stop
    3 point
    wheelies
    grass/dirt
    pavement

Just curious to hear what their emphasis is.

Excellent on the landings!

And you did the hardest landings; someone in the back seat. Landing solo is easy, but add a load in the back seat and it changes everything.
    Last edited by aeroaddict; 01-10-2021 at 09:18 AM.
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    How many each of:

full stop
    3 point
    wheelies
    grass/dirt
    pavement

Just curious to hear what their emphasis is.
    All are full stop (stop and go)
    Start out with 3 point, later do wheel landings
    Mostly grass but we did pavement even with crosswinds to train and be aware, night was all pavement

You can do was much of whatever you want but they sure make you do a lot Night was the hardest, very different site picture for the flare.