Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: TacAero FX-3 Training - Fredericksburg, TX

Default Re: TacAero FX-3 Training - Fredericksburg, TX

That's great to hear! both my wife and I are headed to see Kris and Ian the end of April for our 5 day transition training. Looking forward to it! We got our Tailwheel endorsement with C3Air (Tres Clinton) in Burnet which was absolutely a phenomenal experience. Were excited to hone our skills in a plane that is exactly like the one we've purchased. thanks for the synopsis.

I’m in Fredericksburg this week.

Any suggestions for good places to eat?

Also, what did a normal day looked like?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Schwbo View Post
    I’m in Fredericksburg this week.

Any suggestions for good places to eat?

Also, what did a normal day looked like?

backwoods bbq near the field has excellent brisket. The airport dinner next to the hotel is suppose to be really good, but it was closed due to COVID when I was down there last summer.

Assuming you there for the 5 day class day one will be mostly ground school followed by a flight late afternoon. Other days plan on a morning and afternoon flight with a break for lunch.

I went where TSquared said, and also used Yelp. I was a little more constrained due to a young dog in my motorhome but otherwise Kris picked the places when we went to lunch. You may want to suggest to Tessa to have a sheet for people coming to training that lists hotels and restaurants, seems like a common question we all have.

Enjoy the training and if you ask like I did I got a night flight in which was a good experience.

For those of you who went to tac aero, do you think it would be beneficial at all to train a little in a supercub or citabria before showing up? I only have 15 hours tailwheel out of 11,000 total time, and 10 of those 15 were 20 years ago. I have taken a few super cub and PA14 lessons over the past 6 months for about 5 hours.

I think showing up "not rusty" will get more bang for your buck so you're not spending TacAero time with TW basics. The course however is designed to go over TW basics, you'll do typical ground school then go fly. If you can be somewhat proficient close to arrival I think you'll get more out of it. I hadn't flown TW for 3 months prior and I only had just completed my TW endorsement.

Try to get current and proficient before you get down there. You will get a lot more out of the training if your current in TW. It will also let you focus more on the FX3 vs getting the basics down.

Ok, thanks. I'll try to do 5 or 10 hours in a tailwheel before I show up. Every supercub up here is on 35's which is almost like cheating though; tempted to go for the citabria on small wheels for tailwheel proficiency.

I endorse what has been proposed. I did 12 hours in CC SS prior to arriving. It made my first flight so much easier. I also did a lot of off airport landings (circa 30) and emergency landings to get a good feel for the plane. Get used to slow flight and maneuvering comfortably at low altitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsquared View Post
    Try to get current and proficient before you get down there. You will get a lot more out of the training if your current in TW. It will also let you focus more on the FX3 vs getting the basics down.
    What is it that anyone current and proficient in tail wheel would get out of a very expensive TacAero FX-3 course? Aren't most people doing this course because their insurance carrier demands FX-3 time?