Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Ignition battery

Default Re: Ignition battery

IBBS powers several units in the G3X Touch system. These units are - GDU 465, GEA 24, and GSU 25. These 3 units each have 2 power input pins. One is conncted to IBBS and the other to MAIN bus. None of these connections plays any part in powering the electronic igintion system and the ignition wiring is not shown on the G3X schematic (some alerting/status signals are shown).

The ignition system wiring is shown in drawing set CC11-CCX MAIN SCHEMATIC on the page named -105 CC11-160 IGNITION SYSTEM. An insert on that page named -107 CC11-160 IGNITION SYSTEM BACKUP BATTERY shows the emergency ignition switch and the backup battery.

Let me know if you have questions after you have located and studied drawings -105 and -107. I have lots of comments on my copies of those schematics.
    Last edited by Andy; 08-11-2024 at 09:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    The photo shows an installation using 2 TCW 3AH IBBS units. CubCrafters standard design is one IBBS for the G3X Touch system and a 2 AH AGM battery for ignition backup.

The IBBS retail price is about $250 but the AGM battery is about $35. The AGM battery will, if in good condition, power the ignition for 30 minutes. I assume CubCrafters though the AGM battery was "good enough".

The TCW IBBS is not perfect. It should power the ignition system for a lot longer than the AGM battery but its internal battery pack can be permanently damaged by accidental deep discharge.

Like many things in aviation the choice is a compromise and, if the aircraft is Experimental EAB, the builder or owner can make a different choice than the designer. I plan to replace my FX-3 ignition battery with a second IBBS this winter.
    IBBS powers several units in the G3X Touch system. These units are - GDU 465, GEA 24, and GSU 25. These 3 units each have 2 power input pins. One is conncted to IBBS and the other to MAIN bus. None of these connections plays any part in powering the electronic igintion system and the ignition wiring is not shown on the G3X schematic (some alerting/status signals are shown).

The ignition system wiring is shown in drawing set CC11-CCX MAIN SCHEMATIC on the page named -105 CC11-160 IGNITION SYSTEM. An insert on that page named -107 CC11-160 IGNITION SYSTEM BACKUP BATTERY shows the emergency ignition switch and the backup battery.

Let me know if you have questions after you have located and studied drawings -105 and -107. I have lots of comments on my copies of those schematics.
    Andy - Thanks so much I never even knew there were any other drawings - I thank you for that information and for offering further advice
    Regards
    Julian

Andy hi
    I reviewed the latest Executive Glass Touch Panel. Manual (G3X wiring ) Rev B and on page 76 is the same drawing with some minor differences- page 75 shows the EX3 FX3 Ignition system.
    Can you check that out and let me know your thoughts
    Thanks
    Julian

Quote Originally Posted by jjoffe@me.com View Post
    Andy hi
    I reviewed the latest Executive Glass Touch Panel. Manual (G3X wiring ) Rev B and on page 76 is the same drawing with some minor differences- page 75 shows the EX3 FX3 Ignition system.
    Can you check that out and let me know your thoughts
    Thanks
    Julian

I do not know what drawings are included with the EX kits and I have no access to them. Have you found a drawing that shows the two ignition modules, the emergency ignition switch, and the emergency ignition battery? If you have found that drawing you will see that power to the ignition system is completely independent of the G3X IBBS.

What else is it that you want to know?

I do not know what drawings are included with the EX kits and I have no access to them. Have you found a drawing that shows the two ignition modules, the emergency ignition switch, and the emergency ignition battery? If you have found that drawing you will see that power to the ignition system is completely independent of the G3X IBBS.

What else is it that you want to know?
    Andy Hi
    I am good I just wanted confirmation that the drawings I am using are good - and believe they are.
    Thank you

I agree, regular discharge testing and voltage monitoring are better than just replacing the battery annually. Catching issues early is key.