Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: General Electronics & Avionics

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default General Electronics & Avionics

The C/Bs that are assembled for the two breaker L and R Ignition panel on the front of the seat base have a small tab on the top of the C/B body. These tabs on similar C/Bs already installed on the left header look like they are bent 90* outboard.

I am curious about the tab or pin. Do I just bend them back?

Would these tabs/pins normally fit in a small hole to prevent rotation?

QtlhJHCiSxqe79xuRrNS6Q.jpg
    Jim Morrical

Default Re: General Electronics & Avionics

I have not looked at the ignition breakers but the breakers in the panel of my FX-3 do not have a location hole and the tabs are bent flat. I did the same when I added the breaker for my G5.

I don't why the tab is not used for the panel breakers. The time for an NC mill tool change to drill the location holes is probably a lot less than the time spent defeating the location tab.

As mentioned, the tabs are used in a slotted or hole on the mounting surface so that one can tighten the nut/lock washer against the panel or where ever the breaker is mounted.

Also used to ensure the breaker is mounted vertically, or whatever orientation you choose, and the breaker will not rotate if the nut is vibrated loose.
    Last edited by aeroaddict; 12-18-2020 at 03:06 PM.
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL

Quote Originally Posted by aeroaddict View Post
    As mentioned, the tabs are used in a slotted or hole on the mounting surface so that one can tighten the nut/lock washer against the panel or where ever the breaker is mounted.

Also used to ensure the breaker is mounted vertically, or whatever orientation you choose, and the breaker will not rotate if the nut is vibrated loose.

Are you stating what is normal practice or are you stating how CubCrafters actually does the installation? There is a difference.

Normal/standard practice. My plane is a EX-2 EAB so I do not know what is CC's standard practice is.
    Last edited by aeroaddict; 12-18-2020 at 04:24 PM.
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL

It should be fairly easy to see the rotation of the latch in the tray slot when looking at the bottom of the mounting tray. If the latch is rotating clear of the slot then the only thing retaining the radio should be the force required to un-mate the connectors.

There are subtle differences in extracting tray mounted equipment and I don't know any trick for the GTR 200. I could find no installation/removal instructions in the GTR 200 installation manual but there are good drawings of the tray:

http://static.garmin.com/pumac/190-01553-00_n.pdf

My Garmin G3X panel includes a panel mounted Garmin GTR 200 radio. I want to remove it while I install the panel and G3X wire harness. It won't slide out. A hex key thru the face unlocked it just like the one for the remote transponder, but I'm still not able to get the radio to slide forward out of it's mount. I'm assuming it pulls straight out face and all. Is there something else I need to do to free it?

I do not want to bend the panel, the tray or damage the radio.

%dDeKE3mRfyNn61PV0DkZA.jpg
    Jim Morrical

I am building an EX(1) not an EX2/3. Lots of people have solved this I know, but my first question was how to route the main G3X harness most efficiently. I do not want to do and undo wiring and routing many times!

After looking at lots of posts, Mitche's G3X video, Dave's FaceBook videos and asking some questions I learned that the
    G3X GDU 464 connector will run to the back of the G3X with little slack. Not heard anyone say that, but that was the question that had me locked up. Seems the connector is accessed from behind the panel by reaching under and up then the G3X can be pulled. I was expecting to disconnect / connect it outside the panel. With that cleared up I could move forward.

So far I've routed the whole G3X harness over the V tube just forward of the two grounding tabs. Then from the right side of the V tubes I turned the wiring of the G3X GDU 464 connector, P 241-242 connectors of the GEA 24 Engine Monitor under the V tube forward of the grounding tabs and left toward their connections. I turned the GEA 25 connectors back up over the avionics part of the harness that continues its runs to the left header. The G3X GDU 464 connector leads run well up between the ADHARS and the GEA 24. I'll cover them with chaff protection. That lets all the connectors reach and fit well with little stress on the connectors.

If someone has some different experience let me know ASAP. I'm happy with that and am ready to move on.

hCGbEz%aStaY+pkwLaoQVw.jpg

4SGBtWTWTSKTKDYfld1hEA.jpg

This last photo Pete Dougherty just shared with me. Sorry I can't get it rotated. I don't know how I could get that much slack. I'll reevaluate when I get to the hangar.

20201229_172635.jpg

Last edited by jmorrical; 12-30-2020 at 12:57 PM.
    Jim Morrical

So simply bending the pin over with my pliers won’t break the plastic case?
    Jim Morrical

I cannot answer as I have never done this. If you have some that are already bent, then I would say, most likely 'yes'.
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL