Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New AeroLED Landing Lights

Default Re: New AeroLED Landing Lights

Here is a short generic video of the lights in the air and taxiing in:

https://youtu.be/_P-b1DbgFoI

Wow, that looks awesome, and they way it should be done.

Bruce, if able can you provide a parts list (links would be great too) such as switches lights wiring, etc. for those of us wanting to follow your lead on this enhancement which promotes safety for pilots. Aircraft Spruce has a 10% off sale going on thru the 11th I believe for aeroleds using promo code aeroleds10 for anyone following this. The shop in Yakima for engravings can be contacted via email at engravingsunlimited AT gmail DOT com.

I hope CubCrafters will take note of this need for better landing lights and consider a better LED light so customers don't have to do this for their safety when night flying. I would love to have this improvement in my 2021 build (FX3).

Thanks again, anything to improve safety is at the top of my list.

Quote Originally Posted by hawgdrvr View Post
    Bruce, if able can you provide a parts list (links would be great too) such as switches lights wiring, etc. for those of us wanting to follow your lead on this enhancement which promotes safety for pilots. Aircraft Spruce has a 10% off sale going on thru the 11th I believe for aeroleds using promo code aeroleds10 for anyone following this. The shop in Yakima for engravings can be contacted via email at engravingsunlimited AT gmail DOT com.

I hope CubCrafters will take note of this need for better landing lights and consider a better LED light so customers don't have to do this for their safety when night flying. I would love to have this improvement in my 2021 build (FX3).

Thanks again, anything to improve safety is at the top of my list.
    Sorry! I just saw this. Heading out to fly, but I will put a list together!

The Parmetheus Pro at 107,000 candela might be an alternative to the factory 60,000 candela WAT and the 150,000 candela Aeroled and looks like a drop in replacement with no wiring needed ... https://flywat.com/collections/most-...and-taxi-light
    Last edited by bkervaski; 12-14-2020 at 06:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bkervaski View Post
    The Parmetheus Pro at 107,000 candela might be an alternative to the factory 60,000 candela WAT and the 150,000 candela Aeroled and looks like a drop in replacement with no wiring needed ... https://flywat.com/collections/most-...and-taxi-light
    Looks like a reasonable compromise given the challenges and addition weight of rewiring. After watching Bruce's excellent video it seemed a shame with all the illumination it is mostly pointed up 12 degrees when the airplane is on the ground. Great device for recognition in flight. I wonder what the birds will think when they see that fireball coming?
    Bob Anderson, CC11-00435, N94RA

What would be cool is if they rotated such as taxi vs flight position. Either via weight on wheels or a manual switch is fine too. First and foremost, brighter is better for safety, but if these had a ground position then people wouldn't have to add taxi lights to the gear area.

Bill, are the Parmetheus Pro and drop in replacement for the existing lighting with no need for any other change?

Just started my fx3 build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bkervaski View Post
    Disclaimer: I am not here to bash another brand of light, just to make sure everyone has the facts to make an apples to apples comparison of the various replacement bulb options.

Although the above lights are indeed a drop-in replacement, they are not in the same league when it comes to actual output. While 107,000 Candela sounds really good on paper, it doesn’t give you the whole story. A laser pointer could give you up to 80 million Candela. We know that would be a horrible landing light. To be a great landing light you have to take into account both Lumens, Candela and beam angle. We don’t use laser pointers for landing lights because they output anywhere from 5-100 Lumens at most. To get light (Lumens) you need power, and the lower the power, the lower the Lumen output. It’s pretty simple. We need to look past the fancy marketing numbers these companies display and start analyzing the real data. That’s what I did after seeing the Parmetheus Vs AeroLEDs. It was really no comparison.

A simple power comparison might be easier to understand. The Whelen light I removed from my airplane used 19 watts, the new Parmetheus Pro uses 24 watts, and the SunSpot's that I just installed are over 90 watts. The one major factor that caught my eye regarding the Parmetheus lights was that I could not find any Lumen data anywhere on their website. I called them and left a message, and never heard back from anyone.
    I was able to find a response on the Aircraft Spruce site (they are an authorized reseller of both lights), and they said that the Parmetheus Pro 36 puts out 1,893 Lumens. The AeroLED SunSpot's put out 11,000 Lumens.

At $1000 for a set, I just don't see how an increase from 19 watts (approximately 1500 Lumens) up to 24 watts (<1900 Lumens) makes any sense. They do not have an integrated pulse circuit, as the AeroLED's do. Also, the marketing ploy of 107,000 Candela is pretty misleading.

If someone has installed these, and would like to show the results, that would be great! Again, not here to bash anyone. Just wanted to give my opinion based on my own research.

Great response by Bruce, I don't think there was ever any question that the AeroLED is a brighter choice.

The only factor left out was the new optics of the Pro. I wish I would have kept one of my Prometheus Plus bulbs, I would do an actual comparison between the Plus and the Pro with a battery.

My only concern with the AeroLEDs (I have them on my RV14 and love them) is the power usage. At 90 watts (each ??), they are pulling pretty hard on the system, 14amps at 13.8v while the Pro is pulling only 4amps.

Thoughts?