Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New AeroLED Landing Lights

Default Re: New AeroLED Landing Lights

Quote Originally Posted by turbopilot View Post
    Bruce, I assume you are using the original DPDT Toggle Switch for switching between wig wag and landing lights. I don't have a parts manual reference for the FX-3 but the part number for this switch in the CC11 parts manual is SP93102-033. I assume the same switch is used in both the FX-3 and SS. This appears to be a CubCrafters part number so I can't find it as source from the vendor.

Did you check to see whether this switch is rated for 15 amps or did you source another switch?

Also did you source the new 15 amp CB from the main bus rather than the EXT Main Bus. The EXT Main Bus has its own 10 amp CB before the original landing light CB?
    Somehow, CC does the switching with the control box that provides the pulse function, and the existing switch was not compatible with the new setup.
    I ordered a 15A, DPDT, OFF-ON-ON switch from Mouser Electronics, that is made by Carling Technologies. The issue is that in position 2, a single blade is powered, and in position 3, both blades are powered. Because the new lights have their own built in wig-wag circuit, you need to have position 2 power the lights, and position 3 power the wig-wags, as anytime both sides are powered the wig-wag will take priority.
    That makes the labeling on the main panel reversed, which required the new panel with ON in the middle, and PULSE on the top. Carling Technologies did have a DPDT switch that only powered a single blade in either position 2 or 3, but when it arrived I realized it was too wide to fit into the existing spot.
    Once again, Jim at Engravings Unlimited knocked that out for me. Since most flying is done during the day, with pulse selected, that makes it easier to just turn the landing light switch all the way up, matching all of the other switch positions.

I did tap off of the main bus to power the new circuit.

Here is the Carling switch: https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...rrencycode=USD
    Attached Images Attached Images

Good work. Thanks for the reply.
    Bob Anderson, CC11-00435, N94RA

Here is a video explaining some of the work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biGl...ature=youtu.be

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Graham View Post
    Here is a video explaining some of the work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biGl...ature=youtu.be
    Bruce, thanks for putting together the video. I was considering upgrading to the Orion 600 Series position/anti-collision lights. While the Carbon Cub has a 4 wire bundle to the wing tip, unfortunately they used 22 gauge wire while the Orion requires 20 AWG.

Last edited by turbopilot; 11-18-2020 at 07:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by turbopilot View Post
    Bruce, thanks for putting together the video. I was considering upgrading to the Orion 600 Series position/anti-collision lights. While the Carbon Cub has a 4 wire bundle to the wing tip, unfortunately they used 22 gauge wire while the Orion requires 20 AWG.

I believe that CC is now installing these at the factory. A really nice looking light!

Just took delivery today of my new 2020 CC SS.

Here is the wing tip light on my 2014 SS:

And here is the wing tip light on my 2020 SS. Have not had time to look up the specifications but it is different.

It would definitely be great if the factory would just add these as an option, but I don't think they are doing that right now.

The project is a little more complicated than just swapping bulbs and running a few wires. There are changes to the landing light switch, as the AeroLED's already have a built in pulse circuit, and don't use the control box that CC installs.

Regardless of the amount of work, I can tell you it is definitely worth doing in the end. I love to fly at night, and these lights are a game changer.
    Bruce - thanks for putting this together. It’s great info and I’m looking to do something similar.

Question for you. Aeroleds sells a sunspot 36hx 4313 without the pulse function. Would it be possible to use the Cubcrafters control box to control the pulse function? Or is there a reason you choose to go with the lights with the built in pulse control?

Regards
    Trent

Quote Originally Posted by Tsquared View Post
    Bruce - thanks for putting this together. It’s great info and I’m looking to do something similar.

Question for you. Aeroleds sells a sunspot 36hx 4313 without the pulse function. Would it be possible to use the Cubcrafters control box to control the pulse function? Or is there a reason you choose to go with the lights with the built in pulse control?

Regards
    Trent
    Trent,

You would not be able to use the existing wiring to power the new lights, due to the higher amperage required. For that reason, I just went with a completely new install.

I've been doing some additional night testing, and the lights are really incredible. Definitely worth the time and money.

Trent,

You would not be able to use the existing wiring to power the new lights, due to the higher amperage required. For that reason, I just went with a completely new install.

I've been doing some additional night testing, and the lights are really incredible. Definitely worth the time and money.
    thanks Bruce. I figured I was missing something.

and Damn... those look good!